Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I don't have a whole lot of knowledge about cars, and my cobalt is the first car I've owned/modified. I'm having an issue, hearing a popping noise, that seems to be coming from my left wheel well, when I turn completely to the left.

Now, I didn't hear the noise over the winter when I had steelies on, and now that I put my summer rims on, I hear it. (I think I heard the same noise last summer but I can't remember if it was the same noise or not). Anyway, I also just lowered my car on H&R Sport Springs, but I don't know how this could cause the issue.

Basically, just wondering if anybody has ever heard a similar noise and what the problem/solution was!?

·
Sneezing Daily
1,155 Posts
Check your clearance in the wheel well, make sure the tire is not rubbing anywhere against the plastic... also make sure that your not hitting your strut assembly..

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will check to make sure I'm not hitting any plastic today... but if my rim was hitting the strut assembly, wouldn't i hear a constant scrape type of noise as i was turning?

·
Registered
289 Posts
No, the contact comes into play when your turning your front tires. Best to get it on a lift in N with the steering column unlocked & see where its coming in contact........

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Hey guys, I don't have a whole lot of knowledge about cars, and my cobalt is the first car I've owned/modified. I'm having an issue, hearing a popping noise, that seems to be coming from my left wheel well, when I turn completely to the left.

Now, I didn't hear the noise over the winter when I had steelies on, and now that I put my summer rims on, I hear it. (I think I heard the same noise last summer but I can't remember if it was the same noise or not). Anyway, I also just lowered my car on H&R Sport Springs, but I don't know how this could cause the issue.

Basically, just wondering if anybody has ever heard a similar noise and what the problem/solution was!?
actually lowering this car causes the CV axles to be at bad angles. and that really loud clunk your hearing on sharp turns is more than likely your CV axle. when they start popping its only a matter of time before they snap at the Joint. go ahead and fix it now before its snaps while driving. i know all this because when i had my car on coilovers, i went thru 3 CV axles haha

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.