Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 09 Manual G5, and I notice that when I shift into 4th, and it's only 4th, that the sound is very loud and feels harsh, it doesn't sound like gears grinding, and I am pushing in the clutch all the way, it sounds like every other shift just louder, like I'm slamming it into gear but it does it every time I shift into 4th, and only 4th. Any ideas why? Something I should be worried about?

·
Registered
330 Posts
How long has it been since the fluid was changed out, or even checked? Usually noise going into a gear may be a bad synchro. Noise thats noticeable while in the said gear could be a bad bearing. Many times if a clutch is going bad it will cause difficulty getting into gears, maybe even a bad slave or master cylinder. It probably is past due for service if it hasnt ever been done.

I know a lot of guys in the past saying the manual fluid needed to be changed somewhat frequently. Not sure if it was because it would break down quickly or what. I just remember when these cars were fairly new I'd sell a lot of manual trans fluid to the owners.

I had a similar issue on my Subaru Legacy GT. It would have trouble and noise going into 3rd. Changed the fluid and added about half a quart of regular Lucas oil stabilizer seemed to do the trick. Later added the Lucas. Probably would have needed to rebuild the transmission by now if I still had the car though.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tha ks for the info, I haven't had this car long, didn't even know you're supposed to change the fluid in a manual trans, how is it done on this car do you know?

·
Registered
330 Posts
Its done from under the car. There will be a drain plug that is removed to drain it, like most every manual. No filter to change. I really cant tell you exactly where its at but is fairly obvious when you look at the underside of the car. Also not sure where your fill point is, but is likely right on top of the transmission below the fuse box. Id have to look, i dont see too many manual Cobalts come in these days.

Heres a great how-to video you can watch. Read the comments also since i see tips in there thatll help a first timer.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I have had that luck quite a number of times. Also have solved a few rear differential problems with just a fluid change. Sometimes noisy diffs on Fords can be fixed with a fluid change and additive for the clutches. It can’t hurt though. I’m sure it needed it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts