Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The computer display is showing 19 mpg. I need some help trying to figure out what could be wrong. It is a 2007 lt with the 2.2 liter and has 43k miles on it. Now I know that the gas stations have switched to the winter blend but this is still very low gas mileage. What can I do? Im not due for a oil change yet and had tranny flush in may. I need some serious help.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Winter sucks on MPG. I drive a round trip of 11 miles for work and I went from 28.6 now to 20.2.

·
Not justice...Punishment
3,829 Posts
There are a couple of factors working against you. The winter blend and the winter temps. The cold brings denser air, which takes more power to overcome. This, combined with winter blend gas, cut hurt mpg bad.

To get a good idea if anything else is wrong we need to know the following:

1. What percentage of your driving is in the city vs. hwy?
2. Do you warm up your car before you drive it?
3. Do you sit in your car with it running for extended periods of time?
4. What kind of mpg did you get in the summer?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I dont warm it up or let it sit for extended periods of time. I got 24-25 average mpg in the summer. This is kinda suckish cause I had a 06 malibu maxx lt with the v6 engine that I actually traded in for this car that I have and it only got 1 mpg less IN THE WINTER!! Theres gotta be something going on. I thought about going ahead and replacing the spark plugs and air filter but didnt know if that was going to do much good. I thought about taking it into the dealership but they would tell me its normal mpg but I tell you I really do not think its normal cause there are suvs im sure that get the same mileage.

·
Banned
7,805 Posts
it really comes down to driving habits then. Because even supercharged I don't get that low mpg because I don't drive like an idiot by flooring it and all that crap. I mean in my little acura I've been getting over 400 miles on a tank just driving around town.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Um I dont floor it at all. I have an automatic and accelerate normally up to the shift points of between 3000-3500 rpms.

·
Say What again!
6,036 Posts
I got 18.5 last tank. Then again, I used my car start a lot, and there were some really cold days, and heat on full...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So basically theres not really anything I can do about this and its just probably normal? Should I take it into the dealership? I dont mean to be complaining but damn 19mpg? Thats low for a 4 cylinder even if it is an automatic in winter.

·
Registered
429 Posts
that sux i have a 07 LT with the 2.2 and even in the winter here in ohio it read 25.6mpg and sometimes it does get floored,lol (mainly whenever my brother borrows it) but 19 sounds rediculious.and this is around a small city and a real small town,it might change by 1 or 2 in the city but not much so id run a few tests,is the check engine light on? i kno mine is on and i ran the codes cant remember witch 1s exactly but all 3 of them delt with fuel,and id get it fixed but just dont have the money right now,but if urs is perfectly fine id think you would get at least as much mpg if not more than me when i have apperent problems in my fuel

·
Registered
175 Posts
That is very low mileage. I get around 26 city/30 hwy and I constantly floor it through the gears to get through traffic. I think I average around 330 miles per tank. My normal cruising RPM is around 3200 in 3rd and 4th, but through 1st and 2nd it constantly hits 5500 (especially 1st). I dunno what 'winter blend' is, and GA isn't all that cold in winter. I guess I'd better not move to the Yankee North!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.