·
Banned
161 Posts
that im getting ready to do myself. seems to be a common issue

·
Registered
135 Posts
that im getting ready to do myself. seems to be a common issue
The poly replacement bushings are crap. They work really well in the beginning but the polyurethane just gives up after a few months and all you get is severe control arm play. I dont know if thats what you have or are thinking about "upgrading" too. Just figured I'd throw the info out there.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
actually i had ordered the stock replacement bushings for my car i never even planned on getting the poly bushings, for the $20.00 if they last another 20,000 miles ill replace them again. nramlow2006 i will let you know how difficult it will be i will end up replacing them as soon as the dealership gets them.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I started having a bad thumping under my floor and I assumed I broke something on my very bumpy dirt road this winter. I brought my '08 in today and it turns out I have bad bushings on the driver's side and so-so bushings on the passenger side!

The tech and service writer say there's no way they should wear out so fast (8,000 miles!) and they know dealers all over the place are ordering these parts, so they are on backorder.

Sounds like a TSB brewing, doesn't it?

At least my dealer says no worries, they will take care of it. :smile1:

·
Registered
24 Posts
i've had mine done twice so far.

08' Cobalt with >20,000KMs
Covered both times, I hope?

Did they at least say they are using better parts when they replace them or is this a problem with our control arms, no matter what bushings they install?

Nuts.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hello, new to the site, I had my Lower control arm bushings replaced (under warranty) Saturday on my 06 LS and today I notice I am getting the same sound as prior to the service just not yet as severe. Does anybody know if there is a bigger problem that causes these parts to go or maybe I just got a bad part/install?

Thanks
Remi

·
Registered
52 Posts
Yep, covered both times.

I was talking to a local body shop and apperently they are starting to "tac-weld" these bushings in b/c they are popping out all the time. How thats possible I don't know, but alot of people that own older Cobalts are getting pissed with replacing these.

I call f'ing bs from chevy... they should be replacing these bushings with higher quality pieces.

When my warrenty runs out (all depending how long GM can hold on as a company) I will be upgrading all bushing and motor mounts with better ones.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My car has had excessive play in the steering as of late, and its been a progressive problem; I had my suspension checked out last time i had my alignment done and they said everything looked fine. I was thinking maybe i bent a control arm but couldn't think of a time when i'd ridden hard enough on rough terrain to do that. These could definitely be the culprit.

How much and how long was it taking to get these from the Dealer?

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
hmmm, i didnt have this isue with my cobalt, and i used it for rally cross one summer :blink:.............. interesting.............

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks, genius.

hmmm, i didnt have this isue with my cobalt, and i used it for rally cross one summer :blink:.............. interesting.............
.... We're all just making it up, rally master. I love my cobalt, but it's still got its fair share of issues. Thanks for your constructive post, though.
Might not even be the problem (with my car)... i just took my car in for an alignment and they told me my front struts were leaking. Makes sense, I live in a bumpy rural area and I'm up to 70K miles. I'm sure that will affect my ride, but the steering? My tires are only about 6-7 K miles old and have a little bit of rough wear on the outside edges but they said my alignment is within spec. Got to be a bent control arm, or the bushings then... right?

I told them to check out the bushings while they're replacing the struts.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
.... We're all just making it up, rally master. I love my cobalt, but it's still got its fair share of issues. Thanks for your constructive post, though.
Might not even be the problem (with my car)... i just took my car in for an alignment and they told me my front struts were leaking. Makes sense, I live in a bumpy rural area and I'm up to 70K miles. I'm sure that will affect my ride, but the steering? My tires are only about 6-7 K miles old and have a little bit of rough wear on the outside edges but they said my alignment is within spec. Got to be a bent control arm, or the bushings then... right?

I told them to check out the bushings while they're replacing the struts.
wow, you totally took my last post far off the intended course........

a little constructive criticism....... if they said your alignment is within spec, it cant be a bent lower control arm, cause that would throw off he readings on at least one level

And yes, a leaking strut can cause havoc for steering, especially on rough roads

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.