Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is a lower temp thermostat a bad idea since these cars are designed to run with what I believe is a 180? Thanks

·
Levee
3,210 Posts
No, they aren't a bad idea at all. Most race ready cars run lower temp thermostats to help keep engine temps down better while racing.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cool. So a lower temp thermostat wont mess with any warming or normal operating temp? Anything else need to be done? I dont race my cobalt, just a dd but I climb a hill every day after work that tends to kill cars and big rigs during the summer months and the occasional run-a-way trains.

·
Levee
3,210 Posts
No, all vehicle warmup stuff is done once the car reaches 160 degrees. So you will be fine at 160 degrees +. As far as needing anything else, you shouldn't need anything else.

·
Levee
3,210 Posts
Yep any time.

Banker, you should just run your turbo without coolant lines going through it and just add a turbo timer to your car to keep from burning up your turbo. Not running the coolant lines through the turbo will lower your coolant temps by about 15-20 degrees alone.

·
Levee
3,210 Posts

·
Levee
3,210 Posts
It may have. I'm not too sure. Let me do some talking around. I could honestly install one for you if I took the time, and it would probably take me a good day to do so as I would be hard wiring it in. I know on my car they have a pnp harness for mine that makes it REALLY easy :)

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
All a lower temp thermostat will do (without the need for it, example: high power output) will hinder idle quality in the cold and hurt your MPG's.

Fact.

Unless it is actually needed, then there really isn't a point. Toss some Water Wetter in your radiator and be done. Keeps my temps under 200* all the time. It worked in the old days because it was an easy way for a motor to not get octane knock or start pinging. We don't have to worry about that these days thanks to advancements in engine design and technology as a whole.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.