Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a used 05 cobalt 2.2 ecotec and the guides broke fortunatly spared valves after getting head redone and inspecting everything else i noticed the bottom of the fixed guide the bolt was not there so i searched oil pan and found nothing but did notice where the bolt goes the aluminum casing for it was ground down and cracked is there a way to fix this or trash the block and get new used one

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
A picture would be nice!

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts

Have you tried removing the remaining part of the bolt? You may have enough treads left to reuse it, maybe add a thin washer to compensate for the wear.

·
Registered
16 Posts
If the bolt isn't broken inside, consider yourself lucky. Short of getting a thick aluminum washer, taking your time sanding it and getting it just right to fit in there not much you can do except change the block or find a great welder, the kind that is portable and drives to you. He can weld that up, grind it flush and redo the hole to where it'd be hard to spot it ever had an issue. On the other hand, a bad welder will finish ruining the block! We have portable stairs for our 50 seater commuter, had it welded twice by two different welding shops, repairs never lasted but welds looked crappy. Finally took it to the right shop, they fixed it and fixed it right, these guys were pro's in Aluminum welding. That might be your best permanent fix. 480 an hour, should be an easy 30 minute weld. Will take more in grinding it smooth and making sure the metal doesn't get in anywhere.

If you Opt for the washer shim, use Lock Tite on the bolt to make sure it doesn't go loose and it all goes down the tubes quick!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I ripped the block out and got a whole engine for 75$ local junk yard got everything cleaned and new block is partially in having issue with lining bellhousing to block its hard by yoursel. Had head redone got all new gaskets,timing kit hoping another week or two and it will be running this is turning into a great project

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Block is in,head is on,timing done and now the smaller bolt on the starter snapped off so small detour.next timing cover and intake&exhaust maifold injectors and get ready to fire it up.thought I messed timing the marks never realigned after rotating by hand but simple Google search told me that it's supposed to happen so panicked for nothing.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's done my first swap rebuild was successful minor problem with brake booster line but nothing jbweld can't fix. It started right up real quiet took it down the driveway a cpl times (100ft) its running really nicely ID post pics of everything but little confused on how to directly post them instead of hosting webpage and links

·
Registered
949 Posts
It's done my first swap rebuild was successful minor problem with brake booster line but nothing jbweld can't fix. It started right up real quiet took it down the driveway a cpl times (100ft) its running really nicely ID post pics of everything but little confused on how to directly post them instead of hosting webpage and links
I'm not sure there is a way to upload directly. I always upload to imgur and link directly to the image using the [ img ] tag.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.