Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just lowered my girls 06 cobalt ls using eibach sportlines. I also bolted on a set a 18 in nexo wheels that i bought from a friend. After doing this, i had a shake in the steering wheel at highway speeds, and a slight pulsating in the brake pedal when braking. I figured it was just an alignment issue. My girlfriend took it to have it aligned and when she picked it up, it was still not fixed. I had her take it back and they double checked the alignment and balanced the tires. They also turned the rotors (twice) and said that they were causing the brake problem. When i picked it up, they said the brake issue was coming from the back.

Now, the steering wheel doesnt shake when driving, but the brake issue seemed to get worse. When you step on the brake pedal, it pulsates and shakes the wheel. From my experience, this seems like a front rotor problem. The car only has 30,000 miles on it, and had no problems before it put the wheels on.

Anybody have any suggestions?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bent rim?
The first shop did say that 2 of the wheels were in pretty bad shape(whatever that means), but all four wheels passed the special balancing test they did (forgot what he called it, but he said its a machine that matches the high and low spots in the wheel with the tire...idk) He said its better than just balancing them the traditional way. The wheels look to be in great shape, except for one little nickel size spot where my buddy curbed something. He only had them on his cobalt for 6-7 months.

But even if i did have a bent rim, why would it only shake when braking?

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
When you put the rims on there were little clips on two of the lug stems did you take them off? I didn't at first and my wheel shook out of control. Just take a flat head screw driver and get them away from the axle, then use a strong pair of pliers to twist and break them off. If you did take them off then I don't know what the problem is...

·
Registered
16 Posts
I had a bent rim on my VW that caused the wheel to shake at highway speeds, I took it in and was told it was balanced perfectly everything was good and to keep the shake in the wheel down they put it on the back right. There was a lot less shaking after that but I did notice a little when braking. After I put on brand new rims and tires everything was fine. I'm not a wheel expert but it just reminded me of what happened to me when I read your post. That shake drove me nuts until I switched out my rims! Good luck!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Make sure your lugs arent over tight. A lot of people have shaking problems because when they get their rims on they use one of them air pressured things, lol dont ask its early and i cant think. Check that, if its still shaking, try and make sure you take off the lil clip things.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I did not take off the clip things, just figured they were already on there so why take them off? I'll try taking them off and hope it fixes it.

thanks

patrick

·
Registered
37 Posts
i heard somewhere to adjust the brakes that you can drive you car in reverse, stopping and going numerous times. I hear this automatically adjusts the brakes, which might help with the shaking when you hit the brakes. Just a thought

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
i very sure its the little clip things, reason being, stock steelys don't sit completely flat on the mounting surface so the clips don't mess with it. but after market rims (like mine) sit flush with the axle soooo they just squish the little clips and as small as they are they warp the rotor, not permantly, but enough to cause the shaking. Thats one of the first things i learned about my car, and it was from trial and error.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
do you have pics of the new setup ?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Easiest way to find out is try and put your stockies back on, if the shaking is gone, its the clips, if its still there, have everything checked, I had that problem on another car, turned out to be a bent axle (someone had taken my car offroad and didnt tell me that they hit a tree trunk) but anyway, The axle was barely bent, but it was enough to cause a problem.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
When i upgrade my rims i am definitally upgrading rotors, calipers and pads

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
i heard somewhere to adjust the brakes that you can drive you car in reverse, stopping and going numerous times. I hear this automatically adjusts the brakes, which might help with the shaking when you hit the brakes. Just a thought
did you read the post by Nugz on the 4-wheel disc brake thread?

Also disks are better cause they have less moving parts and dont get out of adjustment as easy. Drum brakes require you to drive backwards and hit your brakes hard to adjust them. A large percentage of drivers are driving around with their drum brakes out of adjustment. disks are just plain and simple ......superior...That isnt just some guys opinion, Im a mechanic and deal with drum brakes all the time....they suck.
yeah, remove the clips, and you should be fine

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
I hate having drums in the rear and there a pain in the A$$ to work on

·
Registered
159 Posts
Adjust the drums and then it should be fine. I myself had just changed my wrapped rotors after only 15k miles on the car...and it's fine. Now with 21k the steering wheel is starting to shake and I'm going to adjust the back brakes here soon and inspect the rotors up front. I too have rims.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Brake problems

You have put incompatible parts that are clearly not as good as the original parts. Put it back the way it was. Otherwise you will ruin your entire braking system.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Mainly when the steering wheel shakes from braking it is from the front rotors, the drums shouldnt cause the shaking. If anything it will cause some pulsing

·
Registered
96 Posts
Drums don't cause vibration. Rotors Do. Pulsations, vibrations, shaking or warping is couse by a different problems.

1. Variation In Manufacturing Tolerances
2. Sloppy resurfacing procedures
3. Buildup of rust and corrosion between rotors, hub and wheel.
4. UNEVEN TORQUE ON THE LUG NUTS
5. Loose Wheel bearing.

Try to get a new pair of rotors and pads, properly install them. IT doesnt have to be performace rotors though. If it corrects the problem they your set! Usually what couses this problem id the Disc Thickness Variation. If not then return them!

Now you say that the car is from 06. IT rotors should still be good. You'd be surprise how the ones breaking technic can damage the rotors and calipers.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Im pretty sure I have the ANSWER!...... I have 18's on my 2007 Ls and I have the EXACT same problem..... I took off the clip things and I did notice a difference but every once in a while my car starts shaking when I hit the brakes..... THEREFORE, I found a post on here (Can't remember the guy's name) that suggested to buy HUB CENTRIC RINGS (these are made for aftermarket rims) bc my rims a universal and are not specially designed for my cobalt! I WILL GO BUY THEM TOMMOROW AND I WILL LET YOU KNOW IF I NOTICE A DIFFERENCE.... HERE IS A SITE THAT WILL EXPLAIN WHAT THESE THINGS DO FOR YOUR CAR Hub Centric Rings - JustForWheels.com

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.