Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im looking to lower my LS coupe and i know Tein is the good shit. I know Tein doesnt make springs for the LS coupe but this may sound like a dumb question but will the ss coupe springs work on it? I know the sedan springs wont work.

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
there's a lot of great springs for the cobalt. It depends HOW low you want to go. I wanted LOW without buying coilovers so I went with B&G springs with SS/TC shocks and struts. my cobalt handles GREAT.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well i went through all 20 some odd pages off the stance thread and the LS coupes just dont look low enough. So do you think b&g and different struts and shocks would give it the best stance?

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Well i went through all 20 some odd pages off the stance thread and the LS coupes just dont look low enough. So do you think b&g and different struts and shocks would give it the best stance?
There are a lot of options far as shocks/springs combinations, but best one to date from what I have gathered are these 3 combinations:

1.FE5 complete strut/shock combo
2. Cobalt SS kit
3. Eibach pro with FE5 upper strut mounts

I dont wanna lower my car crazy drop either, but want to throw in my case, a lip kit to the LS and get it to clear speed bumps..(in this case, go with wheels/tires first, then go with the kit you want for aero performance, then that will get you to stage 3, the lowering decision...) just some advice from experience from other cars. :)

·
hawaii icon
3,089 Posts
That won't give much of a drop at all tho. Seems like the OP is looking more for drop than performance. I've got SSi springs with koni yellow shocks/struts currently. Pretty decent drop.

Heres a pic of my car next to a stock one...

and heres a better shot of my stance:

---------- Post added at 03:00 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:59 AM ----------

Im looking to lower my LS coupe and i know Tein is the good shit. I know Tein doesnt make springs for the LS coupe but this may sound like a dumb question but will the ss coupe springs work on it? I know the sedan springs wont work.
Why won't the sedan ones work?

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
honestly man, from my experience, and from what I've seen, B&G's will drop you the most without going coilovers or modified. If you have a coupe, then cut off one bottom spring from the front springs, slap them on with some SS/TC shocks and struts and you'll be more than thrilled. Koni is good but the amount of testing and money that Chevrolet put into researching the OEM ss/tc performance suspension outweighs the performance of Koni's shocks/struts. Can't go wrong with OEM performance.

FYI I have been riding on my ss/TC shocks/struts with modified B&G's for over a year now in the WORST roads in North America (Quebec AAAH!!) and so far (knock on wood) the suspension is holding great. Bumpy on our numerous potholes but worth it for the amazing handling.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Where could i buy the SS shocks/struts?

·
Premium Member
3,700 Posts
When i ordered my fe5's a couple years ago gmpartsdirect.com was the cheapest. May be worth checking into...

---------- Post added at 02:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:20 PM ----------

I have Eibachs on already... Buying the FE5s now. Will my car be any lower after changing the suspension?
no, not if your not changing springs. dampers dont do anything for hieght.

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
I'm not changing springs, i have sportlines and am installing FE5 next week. Will my car be any lower? I think you answered my question anyways - I doubt it will be lower.
no.

·
Say What again!
5,997 Posts
Nope, it'll just ride stiffer/firmer and handle a lot better.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
If you wanted lower, then get a coil-over system. I would not suggest any lower, anyone here can testify the joy of speed bumps and parking blocks, lol.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
ah, so cornering performance, better turn radius, etc? You should go with the FE5 setup, run some sway bars and endlinks, and of course re-inforcing your chassis.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.