Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking around everywhere for a good way to lower my car and from other peoples word of mouth it just keeps coming back to Eibach lowering springs...just wondering what other people have done to lower there balts'...im looking for around a 2" drop

·
Registered
547 Posts
Welcome, Eibach is the way to go IMO. I have Eibach Sportlines on my Cobalt and I love them.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Ive heard drop zone is a cheap alternative for only 99$ but I haven't ridden in a cobalt with either one so I guess its all in the wallet.

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
guyz i know im late on this but don't drop your car on springs unless you change your shocks to damp the new springs...i'm an engineering student and I was told many times this is a bad choice, and I have some friend who did it and the car drives shitty. When I drop ima put the whole set...might run me $1000 or close, but at least I'll have killer suspension that won't **** up my ride. Just my educated opinion lool

·
Premium Member
2,473 Posts
Actually BBoy is somewhat correct as the shocks are designed for a range of travel. If you lower the car without changing the shocls to accomodate the new range of motion you do have the POTENTIAL for a bad ride. Now how long it takes for the bad ride to happen depends on the quality of the shocks or struts, remember that factory stuff on the low end vehicles ie Cobalts, Cavaliers, Focus, Neons, etc are the cheapest so they will fail faster. By lowering the vehicle and not changing struts or shocks, the old parts are under severe compression and will fail faster than without lowering. Had a buddy with a Stang that after about 6-8 months literally blew out his shocks because he didnt get lowering shocks.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
i eventually plan to lower my ls with sportlines. and i plan to get the FE5 shocks and struts for it.
but im not sure if i should replace everything at once. or just do the springs than the shocks and struts at a later time.

what do you guys think i should do?

·
Registered
567 Posts
Mine will be here thursday, Fed Ex says i gotta sign for them, but I wont be home :eek:h:

i just bought the Eibach Sportlines springs, just
waiting on the set to come in the mail :)

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
guyz i know im late on this but don't drop your car on springs unless you change your shocks to damp the new springs...i'm an engineering student and I was told many times this is a bad choice, and I have some friend who did it and the car drives shitty. When I drop ima put the whole set...might run me $1000 or close, but at least I'll have killer suspension that won't **** up my ride. Just my educated opinion lool
This is definitely true! However the stock struts and springs really are not that bad.. I have been lowered over 2 years now on stock struts/shocks and my car still handles great! I do plan on upgrading to SS/TC shocks/strut's when these take a poo poo.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
i eventually plan to lower my ls with sportlines. and i plan to get the FE5 shocks and struts for it.
but im not sure if i should replace everything at once. or just do the springs than the shocks and struts at a later time.

what do you guys think i should do?
Do it all at once. get it done and over wit the first time.

HailCeaser i have never hear of that brand

·
Registered
720 Posts
^Agreed...don't lower it until you can replace it all at once...that way you only need an alignment once and you can install the entire strut/spring together and uninstall the stock the same way...make's it so much easier. Wish I wouldn't have been stubborn and done it that way, but I wanted my car lowered.

Oh well...next year I'll have SS/TC struts/shocks....and to the student...I've been on Sportlines for a year with no problems...yes it will cause problems, but it doesn't mean right away, there is no way to tell when you'll have problems. Could be a couple months or could be a few years.

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
cobalt08ls i would do it all at once, that way no potential damage to stock equipment and don't have to re-install parts again.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
here are some pics when i had em on my car. kinda regretting it now that i sold them ha ha. ill probably get em again next year

i think the drop is sweet. nearly tucking. sportlines dont drop this low tho.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.