Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a couple questions about lowering my girlfriend's cobalt.

First off I am wondering what some of you would recommend as far as coilovers. She does not race my car or anything so this would strictly be for looks. I am wondering what brands produce better more reliable products.

Also, I am wondering if we would have to eventually replace struts or shocks with lowering her car. We would only drop it maybe 2 inches depending on what her stock parts could handle. I know on my car if I go any lower then 2 inches i'd have to get camber kits to fix the extra load put on the wheels. Do cobalts have that same problem?

Also I know that this isnt a suspension question, but I was wondering what you guys might think about the SS high spoiler put onto the LS. I am considering picking one up and replacing the low stock wing. I've been trying to find a pic of an LS with the SS spoiler but I haven't been too lucky yet.

Thanks for the help I really appreciate it.

·
Registered
6,103 Posts

First off I am wondering what some of you would recommend as far as coilovers. She does not race my car or anything so this would strictly be for looks. I am wondering what brands produce better more reliable products.

Also, I am wondering if we would have to eventually replace struts or shocks with lowering her car. We would only drop it maybe 2 inches depending on what her stock parts could handle. I know on my car if I go any lower then 2 inches i'd have to get camber kits to fix the extra load put on the wheels. Do cobalts have that same problem?

Also I know that this isnt a suspension question, but I was wondering what you guys might think about the SS high spoiler put onto the LS. I am considering picking one up and replacing the low stock wing. I've been trying to find a pic of an LS with the SS spoiler but I haven't been too lucky yet.

I cant answer all the questions, BUT i can answer a few.
First things first. dont get coilovers if your not gonna race and if you want to drop it strictly for looks. coilovers= over $1K. springs= $100-300 dollars.
get springs if you want to just drop 2 inches. Ive got eibach sportlines, 2.5 inch drop in the rear, 2.0 inch drop in front. Look good, handle good, ride quality is pretty good.
A lot of people are still on stock struts and shocks. You will have to probably replace that after awhile though. If you can afford springs, struts/shocks all in one trip, do it i guess.
Personally, im on stock struts and shocks.

SS wing on LS? dont do it dude. looks out of place unless you have a body kit or something WITH lowering springs.

·
Registered
547 Posts
From what I have read and heard, coilovers are the best way to go when it comes to lowering a car. I am lowered on Eibach Sportlines and I love them. It looks good and it is cheaper then coilovers. If you lower with the Eibach it is best if you replace the struts and shocks, but you don't have to right away. Your stock ones will hold up for a while. There are a lot of members lowered and still on stock struts and shocks. When it comes to the high rise wing, IMO it is up to the driver and what you like. I myself don't really care for the high rise, but its your call. Don't get me wrong the high rise looks good, but I prefer no wing. Hope that helps. If I have missed something please someone jump in.

·
Registered
757 Posts
i dont know anything about lowering but here is my LT (which is the same thing as the LS but with power options)

and im sure it would look alot better if it was lowered with the ss spoiler

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Did someone say b&g springs lol

I think u should get springs. Don't pay $200 for any springs btw. U can get the good ones for under $200

---------- Post added at 09:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:08 PM ----------

B&G springs give the Balts the sexiest, sexiest stance besides coilovers. Now, that's if you can handle the ride. I bought myself some fe5 struts/shocks to make the ride more comfortable.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
i dont know anything about lowering but here is my LT (which is the same thing as the LS but with power options)

and im sure it would look alot better if it was lowered with the ss spoiler

When are you gonna pose with ur car my sugarmama. Lol

·
Registered
3,545 Posts

·
Registered
3,545 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
To answer the question. I have an SS/SC and I lowered mine with the Eibach sportline and I love it. I would not do coilovers I have a buddy that has a red LT and he went coilovers and they only stayed on for about 3 months he hated them. I did how ever see an LT with the high rise wing on streetfire.net I think it looked cool and different. (NOTE: you can't see out your rear view mirror all that well if you do this.) But over all I think you'll like it.) Check out my car let me know what you think.

·
Not justice...Punishment
3,829 Posts
To answer the question. I have an SS/SC and I lowered mine with the Eibach sportline and I love it. I would not do coilovers I have a buddy that has a red LT and he went coilovers and they only stayed on for about 3 months he hated them. I did how ever see an LT with the high rise wing on streetfire.net I think it looked cool and different. (NOTE: you can't see out your rear view mirror all that well if you do this.) But over all I think you'll like it.) Check out my car let me know what you think.
Welcome to the forum. You should start a thread in the intro section so you can get to know everyone.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thank you very much for all the responses. Yeah I am not trying to spend 1k+ to lower the car haha so it looks like springs may be the way to go for me. Also IMO I really like the SS wing on your car. I appreciate you posting the pics for me I could not find any anywhere!

·
Registered
139 Posts

The only ting that has not been answered is your question about the camber kit. Most companies recomend it with any amount lowering. But you could get lucky like I did. My camber was off from the factory and after lowering it was dead on with no need for adjustment.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.