Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am looking to lower my 2009 chevy cobalt sedan. It is currently stock but I am looking to stance the car.... eventually get new tires and wheels. You know the deal. anyways, I am new to lowering and cars in general. I have had trucks my whole life and only have done cosmetic changes.

I have been looking at B&G S2 lowering springs but have been told to also purchase shocks/struts at the same time since my factory ones will crap out. I have been looking on the forums and have noticed people getting FE5's? Is it a good idea to buy the FE5s and install those? And once I save up some money buy the lowering springs as well? or how does the whole process work?

Thanks for any info/suggestions. Anything helps.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Well, if you're gonna #StanceNation your car, I think any shocks/struts will crap out on you, but the FE5's seem to handle lowering springs much better than any of the stock 2.2L shocks/struts. You can get them from CED. Also, a lot of guys here like the SSC springs for a decent drop and noticeable increase in handling. They're a tad cheaper than B&G's too, so that might be something to look into.

Yeah, you'd want to install all the parts at the same time. Don't put your current springs into FE5 struts. Wait until you've collected both the shocks/struts package and the lowering springs to install everything at once.

FE5 Shocks & Struts - Crate Engine Depot
SSC Lowering Springs - ZZPerformance

By the way, this is what I'm talking about when I say "#StanceNation". If you're going with a tiny bit of camber, your suspension will last a whole lot longer than this:

·
Registered
227 Posts
My vote is for SSC/CM springs, they handle great, lower it a fair amount and the ride isn't harsh. If you want a bit more chamber in the front you might want to consider swapping out your control arms for FE5s out of a SS/TC.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Yup, the FE5 shocks/struts are the best for the price, and you should definitely put them in the same time as your B&Gs. You have any idea what wheels you're gonna put on it?

·
Registered
949 Posts
From the Performance Suspension FAQ/Advice thread:

Springs

Oh boy, here we go...

Eibach - VERY high quality springs.
- Sportlines - Very high quality springs, actually one of the best. Good drop, not too aggressive. However, they employ coil bind which limits your rapid multi-compression performance in the rear.
- Front: 2.0"
- Rear: 2.5"
- Prokit - Excellent spring, afaik they do not use dead coils, so performance will be better than sportlines.
- Front:1.6"
- Rear: 1.8"

K-Sport - coil bind, not quite as high quality, but k-sport has a good reputation.
- Front: 1" SS, 2" Base
- Rear: 1.3" SS, 2.5" Base

Tein - Tein is legendary in the import world, but i have not seen many owners of these springs. Any input is welcome.
- Front: 1.2"
- Rear: 1.3"

Tenzo-R - Meh. They do have a pretty good drop. I don't have any experience with these springs.
- Front: 2"

SSC - I have heard they have nearly identical spring rates to stock SS/SC springs. Good handing, great ride. I have also seen a tendency to sag over time.
- Rear: 1.5" Both

B&G - VERY low. No experience.
- Front: 1.6"
- Rear: 2"

Pedders - THE BEST. These are the springs i run. They dont have a radical drop, but their rates are better than any other spring available. Ride better and handle MUCH better than stock. Perfect compliment to SS/TC struts
- Front: 1.5"
- Rear: 1.6"

H&R Race - Good ride, great drop. Again, very high quality spring, but it uses dead coils. A little bouncy, i imagine most of the coil bind drop springs are.
H&R Sport - No experience, but I imagine similar to the Race, just slightly softer and not quite as low.
- Rear: 1.4"

Progress - One of the best looking drops IMO. Comparable to Sportlines as far as ride quality.
- Rear: 2.0"

Sprint - No experience.
- Rear: 1.9"

Zenn - Very cheap. You get what you pay for IMO
- Front:
- Rear:

Dropzone - ?
- Front: ?
- Rear: ?

Goldline (Discontinued) - The HRR guys love these, but i have never seen them on a Cobalt.

ARK - Another coil bind spring, similar to the K-Sports in quality and ride.

·
Registered
72 Posts
From the Performance Suspension FAQ/Advice thread:

Springs

Oh boy, here we go...

Eibach - VERY high quality springs.
- Sportlines - Very high quality springs, actually one of the best. Good drop, not too aggressive. However, they employ coil bind which limits your rapid multi-compression performance in the rear.
- Prokit - Excellent spring, afaik they do not use dead coils, so performance will be better than sportlines.
- Front:1.6"
- Rear: 1.8"

K-Sport - coil bind, not quite as high quality, but k-sport has a good reputation.
- Rear: 1.3" SS, 2.5" Base

Tein - Tein is legendary in the import world, but i have not seen many owners of these springs. Any input is welcome.
- Front: 1.2"
- Rear: 1.3"

Tenzo-R - Meh. They do have a pretty good drop. I don't have any experience with these springs.

SSC - I have heard they have nearly identical spring rates to stock SS/SC springs. Good handing, great ride. I have also seen a tendency to sag over time.
- Rear: 1.5" Both

B&G - VERY low. No experience.
- Rear: 2"

Pedders - THE BEST. These are the springs i run. They dont have a radical drop, but their rates are better than any other spring available. Ride better and handle MUCH better than stock. Perfect compliment to SS/TC struts

H&R Race - Good ride, great drop. Again, very high quality spring, but it uses dead coils. A little bouncy, i imagine most of the coil bind drop springs are.
H&R Sport - No experience, but I imagine similar to the Race, just slightly softer and not quite as low.
- Rear: 1.4"

Progress - One of the best looking drops IMO. Comparable to Sportlines as far as ride quality.
- Rear: 2.0"

Sprint - No experience.
- Rear: 1.9"

Zenn - Very cheap. You get what you pay for IMO
- Front:
- Rear:

Dropzone - ?

Goldline (Discontinued) - The HRR guys love these, but i have never seen them on a Cobalt.

ARK - Another coil bind spring, similar to the K-Sports in quality and ride.

So on my 09 lt the ssc will be very close to the b&g? Going ssc for rude quality. Also how do you quote from another thread?

·
Registered
949 Posts
Looks like the front will be lower, but the rear will be higher. If you're going for ride quality, SSC is probably going to be the best bet. Good drop and the spring rates are supposed to be similar to stock.

The way I did it was to go to the thread, press the Quote button on that post, and copy the Author and Post ID from the QUOTE tag.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Looks like the front will be lower, but the rear will be higher. If you're going for ride quality, SSC is probably going to be the best bet. Good drop and the spring rates are supposed to be similar to stock.

The way I did it was to go to the thread, press the Quote button on that post, and copy the Author and Post ID from the QUOTE tag.

Thanks man! I'll be ordering everything for the suspension this weekend. For anyone needing struts and shocks go Amazon. Cheapest anywhere

·
Premium Member
3,860 Posts
That quote was what made me pull the trigger on Pedders way back when. Let me tell you something, they may be good at first, but don't buy them if you don't like your rear springs rusting out to holy hell in a matter of months. If you live anywhere where salt or snow may be, avoid at all costs!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.