Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay I was here on YC and I saw hailcesar had and suggested these springs http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/B-G-BG-S2-Sport-Springs-05-09-Chevy-Cobalt-Free-Ship_W0QQitemZ290377337258QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item439bd689aa

I want to get them, however, I'm not really to sure what else I will need, will I need to get struts or anything? Also, I would prefer to install them on my own, my friend said something about a spring compressor...or is it cheaper/easier to get it done somewhere else? Any helpful hints would be appreciated, I'm planning on getting these this week and having them on by the end of the month if possible...

·
Registered
547 Posts
You can lower your car without replacing struts and shocks, but you will have to replace eventually much sooner then you would have to at normal height. I had my springs put on at a local shop. Some members with the LS have put the SS/TC shocks and struts, but I plan on going with KYB shocks and struts.

·
Registered
872 Posts
YOU DO NOT NEED A SPRING COMPRESSOR!!!!!

its so easy to change springs without one, and with absolutely NO DANGER to urself.

to answer the OP: eventually you will need new struts/shocks but thats true for the stock springs too. the lowering will just make u need them sooner. it is really really easy to do it urself, ive changed/removed springs on my car prolly 12-14 times and done it on other cobalts prolly 25 times. you can get a quality set of springs and install them urself for less than $200 if u r smart about it.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Awesome. I'm definitely going to do it myself, I'm just trying to find the cheapest way to do it.. hopefully without having to buy any new tools. I don't have the compressor, an air impact wrench, a torque wrench, oorrr the 21mm 02 sensor socket that the old DIY calls for.

·
Premium Member
3,700 Posts
you really only need the impact if you use the spring compressor. it saves A LOT of ratcheting. the first time i did mine i didnt have one and was hating life.
but as others have said you can do it without the compressor too.
and i would use the torque wrench so you dont snap the three strut tower bolts. they dont require much torque, and people tend to over tighten them.

·
Registered
6,103 Posts
YOU DO NOT NEED A SPRING COMPRESSOR!!!!!

its so easy to change springs without one, and with absolutely NO DANGER to urself.

to answer the OP: eventually you will need new struts/shocks but thats true for the stock springs too. the lowering will just make u need them sooner. it is really really easy to do it urself, ive changed/removed springs on my car prolly 12-14 times and done it on other cobalts prolly 25 times. you can get a quality set of springs and install them urself for less than $200 if u r smart about it.
x2. thats how me and my buddy did mine, without a spring compressor.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
you dont mess with the O2 sensor, it says you need to use it to hold the struts in place from spinning when you loosen them up, but if you loosen them up while the car is on the ground you dont need it, I'm guessing it was his first time doing it....good how to, im doing it with the compressor most likely...unless the way w/o it is easier...and safe.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.