Chevy Cobalt Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I bought a set of B&G lowering springs B&G S2 Sport Springs - NGA Motorsports - AEM,INJEN,Hawk,HKS,Royal Purple, Eibach, Beltronics, Autometer Wholesale Warehouse and after installing the rear springs the back driver side tire was pressed up against the fender - couldn't move. I put the stock springs back in and noticed that my Cobalt is 3/4" lower on the driver side. WTH?!?!?! Has anyone else noticed this or has this problem? I cant use the springs as is because, well, I cant even pull out of my driveway. :cry:

·
Registered
610 Posts
did you make sure to bolt your strut on? lol. because the difference between the axle mount and actual axle are about 3/4". not trying to be a smart ass but it is a possiblity. or you could have busted a shock like ^ said.

·
Registered
802 Posts
did you make sure to bolt your strut on? lol. because the difference between the axle mount and actual axle are about 3/4". not trying to be a smart ass but it is a possiblity. or you could have busted a shock like ^ said.
sadly that is a very common mistake from rookie to veteran i can admit i've done it before BUT it was also the first thing i checked after i noticed it... kind of a DUH wtf moment.

·
Registered
869 Posts
A busted shock would not cause the entire car to sag to one side because the shocks do not carry the sprung weight of the vehicle, they only aid in road shock absorbtion and rebound. This is kind of a personal question, but how much do you weigh? Are you usually the only person in the car? Sometimes that can cause a problem and you would need suspension shims to offset the difference. Have you ever been in a wreck? More information is necessary.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
To answer everyones questions:
The shock was bolted on, car is only 9 months old and has not been in a wreck, I am on a level surface, I weigh 175.
After getting the old stock springs back on, I noticed the same thing, the car sags about an inch on the drivers rear side. I even swapped the lowering sprins from left to right thinking it was a bad spring, but it didn't matter.
I think I'm going to take it into the dealer this week and ask them what is going on with it. If it's not the shock, then I have NO clue as to what it could be.:notrust:

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A busted shock would not cause the entire car to sag to one side because the shocks do not carry the sprung weight of the vehicle, they only aid in road shock absorbtion and rebound. .
But if the shock is bad, then more weight is getting placed on the springs which would lower the car - correct me if I'm wrong. It doesnt make sense though, when the car is lifted off the ground everything is level, but when there's weight placed on the car, I loose that critical inch on the rear drivers side. That would really make me believe that it's the shock as there's nothing else to look at in that area. ARGH!!!! And the dealer is closed today...:notrust:

·
Registered
802 Posts
A busted shock would not cause the entire car to sag to one side because the shocks do not carry the sprung weight of the vehicle, they only aid in road shock absorbtion and rebound. This is kind of a personal question, but how much do you weigh? Are you usually the only person in the car? Sometimes that can cause a problem and you would need suspension shims to offset the difference. Have you ever been in a wreck? More information is necessary.
But if the shock is bad, then more weight is getting placed on the springs which would lower the car - correct me if I'm wrong. It doesnt make sense though, when the car is lifted off the ground everything is level, but when there's weight placed on the car, I loose that critical inch on the rear drivers side. That would really make me believe that it's the shock as there's nothing else to look at in that area. ARGH!!!! And the dealer is closed today...:notrust:
all i know is i've had blown shock's before and it made about a half inch difference... sometime's blown shock's do make a car sag more.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
all i know is i've had blown shock's before and it made about a half inch difference... sometime's blown shock's do make a car sag more.
And of course NO ONE around here sells replacement shocks for the 08 Cobalt. I think I'll end up swapping shocks from the left to the right and see if that makes the right side sink. Too frustrated with it right now to do it though. :notrust:

·
Registered
802 Posts
And of course NO ONE around here sells replacement shocks for the 08 Cobalt. I think I'll end up swapping shocks from the left to the right and see if that makes the right side sink. Too frustrated with it right now to do it though. :notrust:
well give that a shot and if it doesnt work let me knjow i got my OEM one's from my 07 they have a whopping 175 miles on them.

·
Registered
193 Posts
my car did the same thing when i installed my eibachs. did you have the rear of your car of your car completly off the ground or did you do one corner at a time. A mechanic told me it had something to do with suspension pre load.so i put the entire rear on jack stands. put a floor jack under each spring. jacked up each side a little at a time .Removed lower shock bolts then lower bolth jacks till rear drops. So when i jacked up my new springs into place bolted it up lowered it on the ground it sat level this time.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
my car did the same thing when i installed my eibachs. did you have the rear of your car of your car completly off the ground or did you do one corner at a time. A mechanic told me it had something to do with suspension pre load.so i put the entire rear on jack stands. put a floor jack under each spring. jacked up each side a little at a time .Removed lower shock bolts then lower bolth jacks till rear drops. So when i jacked up my new springs into place bolted it up lowered it on the ground it sat level this time.
I did that the second time thinking that was the problem. And it still slammed the driverside to the tire. I'm getting an appointment to get my car in at the dealership. My lowering springs sure look great IN THE F'IN BOX!! :mad:

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, I just dropped my car off at the Chevy dealer... wish me luck.:eek:h:

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
NOTHING! Not a damn thing was wrong with my car so they say. It sits level and within 1/8" for all 4 wheels. So I'm back to square one. I wonder if the problem might have been because I dropped the back first, but never dropped the front because of the ride height? Would dropping the front raise the back up by about an inch? This is making me sick - I have 17"s on, but there is about 3"+ between the wheel well and the top of the tire. AAAARRRRGGGGHHHHHHHH!!!! Scag, I just might have to wait until you get up here to drop the car with me after we work on yours. I really wanted it lowered for the meet/greet.:sick:

·
Premium Member
3,700 Posts
hmm i didnt notice my rear touching the wheels. did my rears first too. i even drove it. had to turn around in a parking space.
we can work on yours first man. im not overly concerned about mine. ill get em on eventually. im going to bring em up, but wouldnt be the end of the world if i waited. :bigsmile:

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Cool, well you have my contact info, I'll be ready early Saturday so when you start to get close to Federal Way, let me know and I'll meet you somewhere you choose, my house can be a pain to get to. I'm starting to wonder if the 2" drop is just too much for my car...It seemed to have dropped about 3-4" after releasing the e-brake.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.