Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how much do lowering springs costs to get installed...i asked a garage today and he said $300 which to me sounds like a load of horse pucky

so how much did you guys pay

n theres no way in hell i could do it myself

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Not hard at all. Did mine twice with spring compressor and the last time I figured out how to do them without. Real easy to do without the compressors

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Also real dangerous.
x2 on that!
Me & my friends lower different types of vehicles all the time... we were doing my 03 eclipse GT one day & decided to see what it would do w/o the compressors... i mean, we KNEW what would happen, we just wanted to do it... that car was in bad shape to begin with so after he took the strut bolts & stuff off the cup wouldnt break from the spring-i imagine rust or something, who knows, i didnt have this car long cuz it was in such bad shape-anyways, so he had to take a rubber hammer to get it to break free... i went to the other side of the garage cuz i didnt want the spring takin my legs or my face off... well needless to say... we wont be trying that ever again... it broke off & flew across the garage & slammed into the wall... but, this was years ago, just curious to see what would happen, NOW we know... :laugh:

but to get back on topic... (haha)
idk what shops charge for springs cuz we do it ourselves (i say we b/c im not exactly the strongest girl in the world, so i just help, its great to have minitruckin friends, lol) maybe see if you have any friend-connections to some1 w/ that kind of ability... idk, worth a shot?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Quick off topic, some of the other guys I worked with watched a spring compressor come apart because they did not use the safeties and it almost killed a guy.... I use the wall mounted style here at work and back at my last job, much safer.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Local shop did mine for $100+$40 for alignment and $10 to rotate my tires, total of $150.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Don't know how much a shop would charge but I did 2 cars, mine 2 times by myself (with stock struts/shocks then with koni yellows), did a dodge neon with another person help, didn't really need it but always good to have some... all you need is some compressors you can rent from autozone or advance auto parts (rental is free, just pay the deposit and get it back once you return them) and some wrenches, I also got an impact gun from walmart, used it for the task and then returned it (to take off the top strut bolt)... but yeah bro, the process is really easy just a little time consuming, definitely worth saving the money you would at a shop though.

·
Registered
872 Posts
compressors arent necessary for our cars w/ the way the suspension is set up. i installed mine myself as well as helped on 3 other cobalts, no problems. only issue i had was a bolt that wouldnt come loose, finally popped, and made me slam my hand into the knuckle, lol

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ok also the springs i have arent really a big drop, should i cut them down or just deal with it....1.3/1.6

·
Premium Member
119 Posts
ok also the springs i have arent really a big drop, should i cut them down or just deal with it....1.3/1.6
Springs come with a set pre-load, so cutting them would affect the pre-load, obviously. It will more than likely make your handling worse. Like bsbllscnd970 said, sell em and buy some more.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Springs come with a set pre-load, so cutting them would affect the pre-load, obviously. It will more than likely make your handling worse. Like bsbllscnd970 said, sell em and buy some more.
This. companies design springs for certain spring rates and stiffnesses for a reason, they're not to be tampered w/.

also they wont sit properly and could come off the strut, which would be bad to say the least...lol

i recommend the SSC springs. they're cheap(170shipped through ZZP), they use the stock spring rates (ride smoothly), great quality (mine have been used for over 50k miles), and they are track designed springs instead of for show so the handling is amazing.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
just a tip for everyone, if you go to a local college and go to the auto department usually they'll do it. my friend got his springs installed for $50

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.