Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm lowering the car today, any tips to not screw anything up or to make things easier, im going to use the spring compressor unless the trick with the jack stands and floor jack works, idk, we'll see...also are there any bolts that need to be torqued to a certain amount or anything? im removing my "mudflaps" and most likely the bump guards depending on how low they are to the ground....

·
Registered
866 Posts
jack up the whole rear of the car and undo the left and right shocks at the same time so the axle hangs down lower. I didnt know that the first time and it was a pain in the ass

·
hawaii icon
3,089 Posts
I thought that if you did that then that would put too much strain on your brake lines? I'm not sure,I haven't acutally done this before but I believe I read that somewhere. Whatever tho, just keep your eyes open and good luck! Post pics when you're done!

---------- Post added at 12:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:52 AM ----------

Also let me know how it goes for you! I got the same year and trim as you and this is on my list of furure mods so any advicewould rock

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Will do...

·
Registered
872 Posts
follow 08ssedan, remove BOTH shocks, it will not cause any harm on your brake lines.

btw, the trick you are talking about from my thread works. but just fyi u dont have to use a floor jack for that one part, i just had a pic w/ one. you can use the same jack you used for the car, all it has to do is be able to lift the assembly area so the control arm bolt is released and loose enough to unscrew.

·
Registered
821 Posts
everyones prolly gonna say chop the bumpstops with a hacksaw.... I personnally don't know how it feels with or without the chop but I did as well since everyone recommended it

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
jack up the whole rear of the car and undo the left and right shocks at the same time so the axle hangs down lower. I didnt know that the first time and it was a pain in the ass
do this, and follow the how to do springs with out a spring compressor

and DO NOT cut your bump stops if you want your struts and shocks to last longer

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
i have sportlines well i ordered them and there on their way
eibach says in the instructions to even cut the bumpstops.
shouldnt you follow so if it says it straight in the instructions?

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
well think about it.. a bump stop stops the strut/shock from compressing too far, and if it gets compressed too far and too much, it will blow faster.

so if you cut/ take out the bumpstops, you will cause your strut/shock to be pushed past its limit so to speak, which will make it blow sooner than it should

·
Registered
866 Posts
well think about it.. a bump stop stops the strut/shock from compressing too far, and if it gets compressed too far and too much, it will blow faster.

so if you cut/ take out the bumpstops, you will cause your strut/shock to be pushed past its limit so to speak, which will make it blow sooner than it should
which is why its good you eventually get aftermarket shocks and struts.. If you dont cut your bump stops it doesnt allow as much travel causing the car to bottom out more

·
Registered
821 Posts
I didn't chop the whol bumpstop anyway... I just cut the rounded end off smd made it flat.... Which is maybe equivalent to cutting an inch off

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
yeah exactly. eibach says to cut a little bit i forgot exactly how much it says to cut but yeah.
im installing my springs along with ss/tc shocks and struts at the same time

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
I'm sure it would cost more, but is there a way to lower the car with fewer trade offs (rougher ride, quicker wear & tear on shocks)?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.