Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys, I was wondering what the lowest rpm that would be safe for my car. My other car is a 6 speed V8 that makes gobs of torque and can be driven at 1200rpm with no issues.

Whats the lowest my car can be driven at? Is 1500rpm in 4th gear safe? This also effects shift points. Is there a certain "range" that I should be shifting at?

thanks

·
Registered
197 Posts
Yea its best to play it by ear. However I shift at 3k at normal driving because its easier on the clutch. If I get up to speed and Im in 3rd at 2600 Ill shift to 4th to save gas. Ill only put it in 5th if Im going 40 or faster or 35 on a flatter road. Cobalts dont really like to be short shifted since the gears are pretty long.

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
well keep this in mind... if your car is bogged down due to low rpm, your car will get shit for gas mileage and it puts more stress on the engine. if you have your car too high on rpms, you do shit for gas mileage and put more stress on the engine than what is necessary. find that happy median... 1500-2000 is a pretty safe zone where you're not bogged down and you're not too high either.

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Personally, ear's more important than tachometer. After all, it would be better put your vision at somewhere else when you're shifting. Besides I think the best RPM for shifting among different vehicles are apparently not the same~~~

·
Premium Member
1,044 Posts
cobalts should cruise close to 2k... mine was turboed so my tune made it so i needed it to shift around 2k

my gto like u said can cruise almost to 600 rpm and still be fine lol

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
cobalts should cruise close to 2k... mine was turboed so my tune made it so i needed it to shift around 2k

my gto like u said can cruise almost to 600 rpm and still be fine lol

V8 T56 is a wonderful combination :0

Im going to use the 1500rpm rule. Kind of a middle ground.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.