Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Not justice...Punishment
3,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Goodyear and Michelin have both developed new LRR (Low Rolling Resistance) tires in an effort to be greener.

The original OEM LRR tire was found on the 1st generation Honda Insight (2000-2005). It relied on a harder high carbon content design that traded a lot of ride comfort and handling for mpg. The tires were also very expensive, and most of the 18,000 original insights no longer have these tires, as they are special ordered from Honda now.

The Goodyear Integrity (stock to the Cobalt XFE) was an early version of a new philosophy. This was to have a LRR tire with the same handling characteristics or normal street tires. The Integrity was a purpose design venture between GM and Goodyear for the new Cobalt XFE. The venture was successful enough that the Integrity became a widely available tire in most all OEM sizes.

Goodyear and Michelin have now produces two new tires that take this idea even further.

Michelin Energy Saver A/S

Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max

Both of these tires did very well during testing as you can see by the "testing" link on each one, but the Michelin did better.

I, however, like the Goodyear better for the price, and for the higher max. psi. I feel that if inflated to the max sidewall the Goodyear will do better at 50 psi than the Michelin does with it's 44 psi max, which is the same as the Integrity.

·
Not justice...Punishment
3,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I agree. I had a lot of problems with them this year. They are good for mpg, but have been bested in mpg and performance by the two new options from the top post. I will be changing mine to the Assurance Fuel Max. soon.

·
Registered
219 Posts
How much longer till you get new tires?

I'm at 39k with the Intergrity's that came with it and it's looking like I'll be needing a new set by 45 - 50k miles. Sometime before next winter probably.

Was looking at the Michelin's at first because of the 7% increase in fuel efficiency over the Intergrity's and that they beat out the Goodyear's in their test.
What I hadn't realised is that they probably tested them at 32 psi and not sidewall max. That extra 7 psi would probably help out the Goodyear's a lot.
Not to mention the Goodyear's a quite a bit cheaper and have a treadwear rating 100 higher then the Michelin's.

Make sure you keep us up to date with how they work out when you get them.

·
Not justice...Punishment
3,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am not too far off from needing new ones. I just rolled 48,000 miles. The front two were changed for some crap tires before I bought the car, and I still have the Integrity tires on the rear. I am thinking that I will prob replace them all. It will most likely be during the summer. When I get them I will post up any results I see.

·
Banned
7,805 Posts
i have michellin hydroedge with green technology and they are a pretty decent stock tire, good compromise between fuel economy and handling. Only problem is that my car put down more whp than the tires can handle, at least from a full throttle launch. They do great in the rain too

·
Registered
219 Posts
Hey Will, if you wouldn't mind doing a couple of runs with your current tires so that you have something to compare them to when you get your new tires.

I would assume that at 50 mph on the flat, tires at sidewall max, and it being around 70 degrees outside you should be getting around 46 - 48 mpg.

Granted I don't know what type of tires you have up front and that can play a rather large role in what mpg your getting so I guessed a little lower then what I got in my
A - B - A tests I did the other week.
That reminds me I need to post those results.

Hopefully break in period on your new tires isn't that long. I've heard a lot of people will get worse gas mileage for the first several hundred or even a couple thousand miles till they are broken in.

·
Not justice...Punishment
3,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You are right on with your estimation of my current mpg, the only thing is that I live in Tennessee, so the only flat thing here is a dinner plate.

That said, I will still do some A-B-A on it, and a little more followup after a good break in period. I may actually get the tires on my next trip to Indiana in June. This will give them 600 miles on the way back home. That should provide plenty of break in period.

·
Not justice...Punishment
3,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I purchased my new LRR tires this weekend. They were on the 100 best innovations of the year in 2009 from Popular Science, and I can see why.

[url=http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Goodyear&tireModel=Assurance+Fuel+Max&partnum=96HR5AFM&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes&autoMake=Chevrolet&autoYear=2008&autoModel=Cobalt%20Coupe&autoModClar=LS]Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max[/URL]

I got the set in a stock 195 65 R15. I bought them for $94 each from the local Goodyear service center, and they came with free rotation, balance, and alignment checks for the life of the tire.

I had a choice of air or nitrogen when buying them, and of course I chose air. I have no desire to put nitrogen in my tires.

So far I am very impressed with them over the integrity tire. Road noise is significantly reduced, while the car itself seems more sure footed.

I am only at 30 psi right now, as I wanted to give them a couple of days to break in before I start running the pressure up. The sidewall max is 51 psi, but I will be going first to 40.

·
Not justice...Punishment
3,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The first negative thing that occurs to me is the cosmetic condition of the tires. Here are two pics to show what I mean.

One would think they would have trimmed them a little better. Looks like crap, especially for Goodyear tires.

I also went ahead and pumped them up to 40 psi this morning.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Will graciously offered to share his thread with me in order to keep info on LRR tires to one thread.
I hope he doesn't regret it. ;P

Got my 195/65 R15 Michelin Energy Saver A/S mounted and balanced this afternoon.

When I had ordered them from TireRack they were $462.92 after taxes and shipping. TireRack has a deal with Merchants Tire where they only charge you $14.50 per tire (total after tax $62.50) to mount and balance and no disposal fee compared to the normal price of $18.99 and a $2 disposal fee per tire.
No proof was needed so if you need tires put on save yourself a bunch of money and say you got them from TireRack.

Total was $525.42 but there was a special on Michelin tires when I ordered them so I should have $70 from a mail in rebate coming back to me soon as I sent it off about 3 weeks ago. Bringing my total down to $455.42.
After taxes Will's Goodyears were probably just under $400 so I'm hoping to get at least 2 or 3 mpg better to make up the difference. But I also have lower treadwear then Will's Goodyears so his tires will probably last a bit longer then mine.

The guy at Merchants asked what I wanted my tire pressure set at and actualy recomented 35 psi vs the 30/31 on the door for better fuel efficiency which I thought was cool.
Got them at 35 psi now and will be adding 3 psi per fillup till I get them to sidewall max a good month and 2,000 miles later.

All I did was drive home so I can't really make any definitive comments on them for such a short trip but I'll post what I observed anyway.

Ride was smoother but it generally would be at 35 psi vs the 45 psi I was running before.
I usually take a corner into my neighborhood at 20 mph and the new tires seemed a little greasy but I'm sure that will go away after some miles are put on them.
Did reset my avg mpg gauge and got home with 51 mpg. Considering that this is a route that I rarely travel this figure means little.

·
Not justice...Punishment
3,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Nah, you got me on cost. Mine was $519.00 total on the car and out the door. The Goodyear store included free rotation, balance, and alignment checks for the life of the tires. Given those services and the added tire life I may have gotten the better overall on price.

I sent a complaint email to Goodyear in reference to the pics I posted above. All I got back was a stupid form mailer copy and paste telling me to return them to the shop to be inspected. The same shop that put them on like that. I'm just going to trim them down myself.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Oh, I though you said in the other post they were $94 each?
Did you get an alignment done at the same time or pick up the tire insurance or something?

I was thinking about getting an alignment to be on the safe side as I've hit a few potholes over 47,000 miles but I'm not sure if there are different alignment specs for the XFE vs regular Cobalts and the guy was completly clueless on what an XFE is.
He kept asking if the XFE replaced the LS or LT model.

·
Not justice...Punishment
3,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The tires were $94 each but there was also the charges for mounting and balancing, and tire disposal. TN also has a 10% sales tax.

I got an alignment check free, but had to spend another $50 to get it fixed from sliding into a curb last winter.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Well look on the bright side, with your alignment fixed that will really help you get better fuel economy.

I printed out a $20 online coupon from Merchants for 4 tire rotation and balancing and an alignment check. My wife's car has been vibrating at 65+ for a bit now and I've just been trying to pocket the money to get it fixed.

They probably gave you a deal on your alignment as you got tires at the same time.
Merchants told me if after the check an alignment needs to be done it's going to run $80.
I'm fully expecting to thow $100+ at them tomorrow. :(

·
Registered
435 Posts
I'm interested in the Fuel Max tires, though I do have 16"s.

·
Not justice...Punishment
3,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Registered
435 Posts
I priced Sears in my area at $94.xx per tire with everything installed for $513.xx. These are for the 16" size (205/55R16). I'm hoping they'll do as much as the XFE 15" size counterpart.

My other choice is the Firestone FR710. These were OEM on the 2009 Malibu rental I had. Did really well in tight corners through the Smokies (Newfound Gap Rd).

·
Not justice...Punishment
3,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
If you are getting them from Sears make sure you are getting the ASSURANCE fuel Max. Goodyear has another tire designed special for Sears called the WEATHERHANDLER Fuel Max. That tire has a totally different tread pattern than the Assurance, which is the original. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with the Sears design, it's just not the same tire.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.