Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
0kay so i am putting a new exhaust system in my car as well as new header i have an o7 ls and wanted to know witch header u exactly use in this situation

·
Registered
869 Posts
There is no specific header. Just go to all the websites listed on this site and find one that you think would work the best for you and fits your needs/wallet. The biggest thing is just to remember that if you have SAI (secondary air intake) then you must have a header compatible with SAI.

·
Registered
75 Posts
zzp makes a sweet midlength header/downpipe combo. base price of like 369 for both peices, and goes up depending if you want a cat, and stainless steel/ceramic coating. but it's one kick ass piece.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Cobalt-addiction.com has a whole bunch of performance parts, and several headers to choose from, why dont you check them out?
Click on the below link
uc

·
Registered
575 Posts
You also have to decide if you want a 4-1 or a 4-2-1 header. Different airflows and different results at different RPMs. Here is something I wrote up a while ago.

There are a large number of companies that sell exaust for the 2.4, 2.2, and 2.0L trim levels. Borla, Flowmaster, and Pacesetter are just several examples. Now, you can buy a catback system that usually includes piping, a muffler, and a cat. You can also upgrade your exaust manifold with a higher flowing performance header. There are different header options such as a 4-2-1 header or a 4-1 header. A 4-2-1 header means that the 4 exaust ports then run into two sub runners which run back into one larger diameter pipe that connects to the downpipe. The 4 to 1 simply has 4 runners that go into one large pipe. There is also the option of the GM performance extruded Honed manifold but I would go with a header. Now, exaust diameter makes a big difference. if you are going FI with a turbo, a 3inch exaust is perfect because it allows a freer flowing exaust for the turbo to spool more exaust gases. For a N/A exaust, a 2.25in. exaust is fine. Anything higher, we lose backpressure and actually hurt performance.

This might help you out.

·
Registered
135 Posts
0kay so i am putting a new exhaust system in my car as well as new header i have an o7 ls and wanted to know witch header u exactly use in this situation
Well as i recall the 07's come with the LSJ exhaust manifold from the factory. So really the only thing you'd need is a new larger diameter downpipe/catalytic converter. I just replaced my 06's manifold and downpipe with some used LSJ parts. The LSJ downpipe is fing huge compared the factory 2.2 pipe which drops back pressure to nothing. However replacing the factory cast iron manifold with a tubular header will take some weight off the car.

·
Banned
161 Posts
cobalt addiction is a great deal

·
Registered
135 Posts
will there be any plus in performance then
It wasn't a night and day difference but the engine did seem to run better and definatly runs better during highway passing situations.

·
Banned
161 Posts
It wasn't a night and day difference but the engine did seem to run better and definatly runs better during highway passing situations.
but if your running a 07-08 ls you already have the ss/sc header. your best bet is a after market 4into 1

·
Registered
230 Posts
You also have to decide if you want a 4-1 or a 4-2-1 header. Different airflows and different results at different RPMs. Here is something I wrote up a while ago.

There are a large number of companies that sell exaust for the 2.4, 2.2, and 2.0L trim levels. Borla, Flowmaster, and Pacesetter are just several examples. Now, you can buy a catback system that usually includes piping, a muffler, and a cat.
A catback system is just that, from the catalytic converter back to the rear bumper. It doesn't include replacing the catalyst, that would require a downpipe and possible manifold swap depending on your setup.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.