Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to know if there is anyway possible to put an ls1 into a 2007 cobalt. A buddy of mine is ditching his ls1 to get an lq9. I was thinking about buying the engine off of him and swapping it into my sisters cobalt for the fun of it. But before I make this purchase, I wanted to see if it was even plausible.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
$12,000 later...maybe...not really plausible, idk how differentials work and all, but the camaro's have HUGE engine bays, not so much for us...

·
Registered
2,625 Posts

·
Cornier Than Ethanol
866 Posts
Yep... think he's put like 3 years into this project so far. If you have the time though... lol I always wondered though, since I know they make the RWD/small block conversion kit for the Focus (at a low low price of about $12K), if something similar was doable for the Balt, and wouldn't require years of custom work. lol

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
well he's gonna take it home in a couple days for the wiring so he'll probably post a bunch up soon

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yeah the better question is not could you... but why would you?:huh:
Just for the fun of it. I think it would be a pretty nice sleeper lol. But I was also thinking about buying a 94 firebird for 2K and swap the engine and tranny in, but a cobalt with an LS1 would be pretty sick.

·
Premium Member
2,473 Posts
The Cobalt LS1 would be cool, but very impractical and way too much money, and who wouold buy it if you get tired of it. If youwant a project do an older Firebird or Camaro and if you want a true sleeper, find an old Chevy Monza, Buick Skyhawk, Pontiac Sunbird, or Olds Omega 1975-1981 and swap it into one of those. They are the father to the current tuner craze. And some models came with V-8s so a swap isnt that hard.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Just for the fun of it. I think it would be a pretty nice sleeper lol. But I was also thinking about buying a 94 firebird for 2K and swap the engine and tranny in, but a cobalt with an LS1 would be pretty sick.
Thats a way better route, the Cobalt will demand 5X the effort and cash at least..

If you want a good idea for an engine swap, take a hard look at the Pontiac Fiero. Its my future car I'm getting sometime in the summer, it originally comes with a 4 and 6 cyl- but the engine bay has room enough for a V12 (no joke), its mid engined and pretty much the ultimate sleeper- and they are cheap as hell. That would be a sick project, btw a store called V8Archie makes ready to go conversion kits to fit those V8s in fairly easily.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thats a way better route, the Cobalt will demand 5X the effort and cash at least..

If you want a good idea for an engine swap, take a hard look at the Pontiac Fiero. Its my future car I'm getting sometime in the summer, it originally comes with a 4 and 6 cyl- but the engine bay has room enough for a V12 (no joke), its mid engined and pretty much the ultimate sleeper- and they are cheap as hell. That would be a sick project, btw a store called V8Archie makes ready to go conversion kits to fit those V8s in fairly easily.
I just got done talking to my buddy and he suggested the Fiero. I'm going to see if I can find one in decent shape cosmetic wise and may just go that route instead.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Woohoo! Go for it man, you wont regret it- they are really awesome little cars. Try to score an 88 if you can, but the earlier years are still fine. After owning mine for a little while, I'll be swapping in an LSJ or a 3.8 SC V6, should be perfect for daily driving :idea:.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.