Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anyone have a problem with there lug nuts shearing off it has done this 3 times with my new rims.I am not over tightening do they make special stems for our cars.Info greatlty appreciated

·
Registered
88 Posts
Just get a lug-nut kit, they won't break off...and they're nice and shiny! :)

I'm guessing you're using an impact gun to take them on and off? That'd be why...I only hand tighten mine on with the new rims...much safer.

·
Registered
85 Posts
EXact same thing happend to me, Took it to the dealer they charged me $249.99 to replace them, ouch! But anyways they took off some stock rings and clips and it hasent happend again.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Im not sure how the Cobalts are on there but for the most part they are easy as hell to change. Just take off the spindle and pound the old ones out and pound the news ones in. Including the time to take off the spindles, if you have all the tools ready, it shouldnt take more than an hour to an hour and a half to do all 4 wheels.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Ya its easy, but i wanted a opinion on why that had happend, they said because of these rings and that handed me a bag of metal rings about a 1/16th " thick, but i ddnt really listen to them, jsut wanted me car.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
what is a lug nut kit and were do u get them the rear stems are real easy to change but i snapped ones in the front 3 times already and its just annoying taking off everything.

·
Registered
673 Posts
It happened because GM decided to use rejected Russian bomb making metals from the cold war era to make all the nuts and bolts for our car. Not only have the wheel studs been a huge problem for Cobalt owners but so have the strut tower studs.

·
Registered
135 Posts
It happened because GM decided to use rejected Russian bomb making metals from the cold war era to make all the nuts and bolts for our car. Not only have the wheel studs been a huge problem for Cobalt owners but so have the strut tower studs.
My lug nuts got all gouged up and the threads got stretched from my impact gun and torque stick. I got another set of lug nuts and now I only torque them with my TQ wrench. Even with my wrench they are starting to gouge. I've never seen metal this soft on such a high load area before.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
The torque on the Cobalt's lug nuts is a whopping 100 lbs-ft (look in your owners manual). I've read about this on other sites -- people breaking the studs. I took off my LS's wheels 3 times but didn't break any studs while using a torque wrench -- are you using a cross, a torque wrench, or an impact wrench to install them?

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
i am a mechanic, and have had a busted wheel stud, and on top of it all, it was because i had used a hand ratchet to put it on. I have had no issues as of late with the torque stick and air gun on the cobalts.

·
Registered
135 Posts
i am a mechanic, and have had a busted wheel stud, and on top of it all, it was because i had used a hand ratchet to put it on. I have had no issues as of late with the torque stick and air gun on the cobalts.
Its seems the ones affected by this are the older cobalts with the steel wheels. I've had a few display the same problem. Haven't had the opportunity to do an '08 yet. The aluminum wheels on the SS and SS/SC seem to have higher quality lugs and a better lug nut seat design.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I've used an air gun quite a few times on my Cobalt (06) and have had not problems and I got rid of the "steelies" as soon as I could and have gone with aftermarket.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
well it's happening on my 07 ls im tryin to find better quality lug nuts and am willing to pay
my suggestion, go get some better wheel studs, higher quality, and they will be less likely to break.

·
Registered
57 Posts
i am sorry to say if you dont use a torque wrench and one that is calibrated often you are pretty stupid on any rims alloy or steel. you wouldnt use an impact on headbolts, or any other critical fasteners, why compromise torquing down something that holds your vehicle up.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
i am sorry to say if you dont use a torque wrench and one that is calibrated often you are pretty stupid on any rims alloy or steel. you wouldnt use an impact on headbolts, or any other critical fasteners, why compromise torquing down something that holds your vehicle up.
because an impact gun WITH a torque stick(proper torque stick) does just as good as a torque wrench. Almost every shop i know of(including the dealer) uses torque sticks and impact guns.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.