Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I decided I am going with the muscle car route there for I am able to build a beast compared to a cobalt.I was talking to my one friend that is selling his 1968 GTO for 3grand,only thing it is missing is the motor.That is ok though since I am going to drop in the ls3 motor with hot cams from crateenginedepot(get an extra 50hp with better cams).he is in no hurry of selling me the GTO at all.He said he has to put in the rollcage and that is it for the GTO.I know people are scared to race muscle cars, that are modified not stock either.so for the winter I will have a project to work on for sure,just not to much besides put in the motor and that is it.The transmission is already in there which is the turbo 400 transmission:D

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Good Choice ...although it is always fun to get some pretty high numbers out of 4 cylinders as well

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
yeah but I am paying less for just dropping in the motor,if I can find the original motor it would only cost me 150 dollars for the headers and 300 for a dual exhaust system,and the cams for the original motor are cheap to,but that is why I am going with the LS3 motor with hot cams so I can go up to 480hp and 427 pounds of torque.the motor is 6500 dollars,if I just kept on working on the cobalt the price would be about the same or more depending what I do to the motor or add a supercharger ect.I am just going to get the downpipe for the cobalt and slap on the header,then I am done.Plus no one that I know of drives a 1968 GTO around here to race with.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Yes. The 68 was a beautiful year too

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah it was,my uncle had a 1969 GTO The Judge until one night he decided to be stupid and crash into a pole while drunk totaling the car.

·
Registered
446 Posts
My grandfather also had a 1969 GTO, which he loved calling it The Judge. I showed him one of the new GTO concepts that is coming out for 2010 or 2011, as it has a closer resemblance to the older GTO, not like the one GM's been selling the past couple of years.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Theres no way you would be able to find an original GTO motor without paying out the ass for it, especially if you're looking for numbers matching, which i would assume you are since you said original. LS3's are good motors, but they've only been out for a few months so good luck with aftermarket. You're going to have to fab up quite a bit, especially the wiring harness. It would be much less complicated if you just dropped an earlier model big block (400ci-502ci is best). Projects like this take a lot more effort than I think you realize, I hope you know what your doing.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Well last night I was looking up other motors the 383 and the 502 as well,so I narrowed it down to 3 now,I might go with the 383 since it is cheaper then the ls3. I notice other older gto owners are dropping in big blocks,if that is the case of making it much easier of dropping a big block into the gto,then I don't mind going that route at all.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
The 502 isnt such a bad motor either

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
no its not a bad motor at all,but my concern is if the turbo 400 transmission the guy put into the gto can handle a big block,if it can't then I will have to go with the 383.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Im sure if you surf the net some and read up on other forums you are garunteed to get an answer to that.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well I did a little more research instead of going through a forum hearing 50 different answers from gto owners.The turbo 400 trans can handle 600hp or more.The 383 motor I am looking at has 522hp and 500 pounds of torque.Blackbaltss came up with a good idea that I should just build my own motor,which I am thinking doing that since I would save myself at least 3grand or so,but I hope to find the right small block at a junkyard.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Good choice on building up a classic. That was my idea, keep my cobalt relatively stock and work on my 66 GTO.

Go with a 400. See if you can get a Pontiac engine in there.

-- for the 383, you going with a stroker?

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I will try and find a pontiac engine,if not I am going to go with the 383 that is a stroker

·
Registered
869 Posts
A stock turbo 400 transmission can not handle 600 horses, period. Maybe the one that your guy put in it does, but if its a stock TH400 then you're going to need it built.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.