Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just got a 08 cobalt ls sedan. i want to get a cat back exhaust but don't have the money to do it right away. i was wondering if replacing the stock muffler with a magnaflow muffler would be worth the trouble in the mean time. would i get a performance gain? i also want a more performance type sound as well. any suggestions? thanx

·
Registered
257 Posts
depends.....a cat back isn't going to add a significant amount of power...it'll just sound like your going faster, especially in an n/a car. so unless you plan on boosting or building the engine go w/ the replacement.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
in all actuality, the factory muffler is ungodly huge under the car. I apologize alpha_male1, but i have to disagree. The Magnaflow muffler is best for if you are hunting down a particular sound. I would not suggest a cat-back for an N/A car, just because of the cost of the system compared to the perks are not worth it. You might see a performance gain, but it will be so minute, that it wouldnt be reasonable. Only reason for changing the muffler would be the sound.(i think i actually agreed with alpha in the end, lol)

·
Registered
257 Posts
in all actuality, the factory muffler is ungodly huge under the car. I apologize alpha_male1, but i have to disagree. The Magnaflow muffler is best for if you are hunting down a particular sound. I would not suggest a cat-back for an N/A car, just because of the cost of the system compared to the perks are not worth it. You might see a performance gain, but it will be so minute, that it wouldnt be reasonable. Only reason for changing the muffler would be the sound.(i think i actually agreed with alpha in the end, lol)
i think you need to read my post again....i said unless he plans on boosting or building the muffler is the way to go...in other words
muffler = sound catback = performance...on a built car anyway.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanx for the responses. as lame as it sounds i wanted to change the muffler for mostly sound. i want performance too but i don't want to spend and arm and a leg for a cat back system. what size tubing does Chevy use? my engine is the 2.2L.

·
Registered
257 Posts
not sure on the stock size but it's small. however it fits the cars output.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
thanx for the responses. as lame as it sounds i wanted to change the muffler for mostly sound. i want performance too but i don't want to spend and arm and a leg for a cat back system. what size tubing does Chevy use? my engine is the 2.2L.
2" system for all models EXCEPT the SC-TC(which are 2.25", i believe)

done systems on both 2.2l and 2.4l models

·
Registered
257 Posts
what a lot of people are doing are putting the stock ss s/c exhaust on when the s/c guys buy new exhausts...might wanna pick one up cheap if you can

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
what a lot of people are doing are putting the stock ss s/c exhaust on when the s/c guys buy new exhausts...might wanna pick one up cheap if you can
agreed

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
On the 2.2's The exhaust gets as small as 1.8" towards the rear of the exhaust

·
Registered
1,538 Posts

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
see how restrictive it is .... Inch and a half...thats horrible

·
Registered
720 Posts
Here's a quick question...will the SS exhaust fit on a sedan? Are the cars the same length and what not? I am interested in doing that myself and found on on SS.Net, but not sure if it will fit the sedan. I don't want the sound of the aftermarket exhaust, but I want something a little less restrictive.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Here's a quick question...will the SS exhaust fit on a sedan? Are the cars the same length and what not? I am interested in doing that myself and found on on SS.Net, but not sure if it will fit the sedan. I don't want the sound of the aftermarket exhaust, but I want something a little less restrictive.
I dont see why not.....if it fits on the 2 door LS, it should fit on the 4 doors. same undercarriage

·
Registered
97 Posts
would the ss/sc exhaust on my 2.2L make it sound any different? i dont have the money or interest in performance as much as looks so i just want to know about sound...

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
would the ss/sc exhaust on my 2.2L make it sound any different? i dont have the money or interest in performance as much as looks so i just want to know about sound...
it will give it a slightly deeper note, not too much, but noticeable

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Okay noob time!! So, if i want to go the muffler route, 1) whats the best shape oval round... 2) Is there an offset I need to think about...3) Is there a model of magnaflow's that anyone reccomends for a low hum with just a little growl/ crackley (I hate to say) riceyness, or what I'm really looking for is like how an Infinity sounds.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
1) Oval, it has enough volume space to give you a deeper sound(not like a hive of bees). 2) You want an offset/offset preferably, even a center/offset will work. 3)If you want a slight pitch change, go for the one step up model than the OEM replacement(dont get the performance model, it will be too loud).

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.