Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Interesting. Is there really a benefit to these? I mean what are the odds of any metal particles coming close enough to the magnet?

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
It collects all the minute debris that would otherwise get recirculated through the oil...I wouldn't say it substantially helps anything, but I'm sure it's better than not having it.

Especially since they're so cheap.

I've always ran them in all my cars. They sure do collect a bit of shavings when you blow things up too :) Be aware if you've got enough material built up on a drain plug magnet, you've probably got more issues to worry about anyways, lol.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
I think it's a good idea, it gives you a heads-up of what's to come. They also make a kit for auto transmissions. GM now puts them in every time they take a transmission pan off. I think it's 2 round magnets that lay in the bottom of the pan.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Those magnets come in the pan from the factory, on most anything from the 1990's up, FYI.

They're about the size of a half dollar (one magnet).

Nothing new.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Interesting. Is there really a benefit to these? I mean what are the odds of any metal particles coming close enough to the magnet?
No added benefit, just preventative maintenance I guess. I have a car with one and it collects shaving/debris on every oil change. I just don't see why they don't install these on all cars if it does in fact help "filter" the oil.

How much did you guys pay for yours?

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Those magnets come in the pan from the factory, on most anything from the 1990's up, FYI.

They're about the size of a half dollar (one magnet).

Nothing new.
I know it comes with magnets, the service bulletin just makes mechanics add 2 more. FYI

---------- Post added at 07:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:21 PM ----------

#08-07-30-040A: Information on Normal Maintenance or Warranty Service for MN4, MN5, ME7 Automatic Transmission Oil Pan Magnet Upgrade - (Sep 10, 2008 )

Subject: Information on Normal Maintenance or Warranty Service for MN4, MN5, ME7 Automatic Transmission Oil Pan Magnet Upgrade

Models: 2001-2005 Chevrolet Cavalier

2001-2008 Chevrolet Malibu, Malibu Classic, Malibu Maxx, Malibu Hybrid

2006-2008 Chevrolet Cobalt, HHR, HHR SS 2001-2004 Oldsmobile Alero

2001-2005 Pontiac Grand Am, Sunfire, Pursuit (Canada Only)

2005-2008 Pontiac G5, G6

with 4T40-E or 4T45-E HYDRA-MATIC® Automatic Transmission (RPOs MN4, MN5, ME7)

Attention: Do not remove the transmission oil pan unless normal maintenance or diagnosis of a customer concern requires it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This bulletin is being revised to update the transmission RPO list. RPO MN7 was removed and replaced with RPO ME7. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 08-07-30-040 (Section 07 -- Transmission/Transaxle).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A new transmission oil pan magnet, P/N 29535617, was released for service. The current square transmission oil pan magnet may become saturated with normal ferrous sediment and the Pressure Control Solenoid (PCS) is now collecting ferrous sediment, making it vary from design. For a given current the PCS electromagnet is stronger, causing the line pressure to be less than needed.

When checking PCS line pressure (refer to Line Pressure Check in SI) and it shows that the line pressure is lower than required (refer to Current-Amps/Line Pressure Chart in SI), for a given current at the PCS or the transmission oil pan was removed (for either normal maintenance or warranty service), only then should the transmission oil pan magnet be upgraded.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
For transmissions that don't really need it...these newer FWD units aren't near as fail-prone as the older siblings.

I guess, whatever jumps your cables. Go ahead and just fill the pan with a huge magnet and ruin all the sensors too while you're there?

They were more important in crappier transmissions, ala the 4T65E and the 4T60E.

And that bullitin is full of laughs. All they have to do to fix that is up the line pressure in the bin file instead of adding magnets. Sounds like a nice and cheap/easy bandaid.

All you have to do is remove the old magnet, and clean it and re-install it. Like everyone does on any simple automatic transmission pan drop. If it's got THAT much material on it, then you'll be needing a rebuild.

GM cracks me up, FYI. Lots of their service business is the same way.

Like supercharger oil.

ONLY USE GM FLUID.

But, if you're out...use Mobil 1 5W30.

Yeah, makes sense.

·
Premium Member
3,860 Posts
It's a good idea, and it couldn't hurt. Might even take some stress off the oil filter too.

I remember the metal shavings pouring out with my transmission oil (F23 w/Dexron III) If I recall, silver is likely coming from your gears, brass from the syncros and black is your clutch/friction material. It'll give you a good clue to a problem as previously mentioned.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Makes sense, guess I'll pick one up the next time I get oil & filters.

Maybe if I had bigger magnets in my tranny my gears would have gone to the magnets instead of through the casing lol

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.