Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an automatic 2005 Cobalt. About 5 months ago the power steering went out at slow turns just like how the recall was. Took the car in and recall was done.

Ever since the Power Steering light went out I have had a lot more issues. These issues inclue the following:

1. Power Steering displays ant the T/C light comes on. When this happens the power steering sometimes comes completly out or doesnt go out but usually it does.

2. The shifting of the car is horrible. It is an Automatic but when the car shifts it feels like someone is popping the clutch or doesnt know how to drive a manual. Its really bad as well because when slowing down sometimes it feels like the car is still accelerating and you need to stomp on the breaks.

3. Also nearly all of the electronics get messed up. The speedometer goes up and down like 15mph faster and slower than your actual speed. It just goes up and down. The heads on display thing that displays mileage also just goes all crazy and reads random things.

The only thing that fixes this is when you shut the car off for a while. Sometimes it just goes away and it is fine but other times it just stays on. I dont think it is the Transmission because when the light is not on it works completly fine. Wondering if anyone knows of this problem before i go pay the $80 for Diagnostic. I read that a 900cca battery has helped people with this sort of problem but I dont know if that is just a temporary problem or what.

Thank You
Sorry for such a long read.

·
I cut stuff
6,238 Posts
Sounds like you might have a bad PCM or something of the sort. basically the computer might be out of whack giving bad signals to all of that stuff.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Take it back in, and explain that this started to occur after getting the recall work done. It could be likely they screwed something up.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did take it in and they said that the recall was completed correctly. Only thing they can do is charge me 80$ to look at it. I was told by a friend it was most likely the pcm. Does this sound accurate.

If it is mpcon where would be the best spot to get the best price. Thanks again

·
Registered
34 Posts
Did you get it fixed?

Greenboy711, did you get the problem fixed? I'm having the exact same problem with my '07 LS after Power Steering Motor replacement. I'm taking it back in on Monday to have them look at it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I had appointment with dealer last Friday and he had my new PC motor in hand but after reading more than one thread/post on this board I canceled the appointment...

My vehicle is a 2009 and I only have 2000 miles on her and have not had any PS problems..so far..

my gut is telling me that somehow their changing out this PS motor is affecting the puter somehow..I think I read where the motor is more powerful and I wonder if the additional amps required for the motor is send BS signals to the puter which controls other things..

Dealers seem to be taking position that yes we swapped out your PS motor and we did it correctly but you now have other problems that we must charge you for and
that did not result from our changing our your PS motor..

I am not buying it..

There is a rat in the woodpile her and I cannot seem to get my arms around it...

Would like to see us all collect our individual PS motor experiences here and see if they are jacking with us...

Thanks.... Frank

·
Registered
72 Posts
so wait there are more problems after its been "fixed".. i finally got my second letter but i have had no problems with the steering.. i mean it seems like it shakes a little or isnt as responsive but i dont think thats the recalls problem

·
Registered
498 Posts
I have a 2009 LT automatic. I got the recall fix a few weeks ago. I never had a steering problem before and I don't have one now. It was an invisible change to me. The car runs great.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Reset computer

I had my son pull the battery cable off for about 30 minutes to reset the computer and he didn't have the problems with the tach and hard shifting after that. He hasn't driven it much since then but I hope it is fixed!!!!

·
Registered
35 Posts
So are we suspecting that their changing out the power steering motor under the recall for what I understand might be a heavier duty motor this somehow results in the computer starting to screw up gauges on dash automatic shifting and other things?

And that the computer can be reset by disconnection batter for a few minutes?

:amazed:

·
Registered
34 Posts
It's been a couple weeks since the computer was reset and the DIC display problems and hard shifting have not returned. It appears somehow when they replaced the power steering motor it messed up the computer and caused the Drivers Information Center display to go all screwy. I believe the tach not working properly was what was causing the hard shifting. After removing the battery cable for about 30 minutes the problem has not returned. If the problem comes back I will post an update. Until then I unofficially declare it fixed! :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Glad I read this before I went ahead and paid $600+ for the the dealership to fix. I may try disconnecting my battery and see if it fixes the prob.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I talked to GM Customer Assistance today about this problem and I was told that if anyone having this problem would call them they could keep better track of this and there could possibly be a recall on the BCM.

I did not pay to have it replaced as of yet. I have disconnected the battery and will see if this fixes the problem.

·
Registered
703 Posts
I never had the steering go out on me, did the recall, then my steering felt so bad I had to bring it back. They replaced the Intermediate Shaft (charged me but I got GM to reimburse me) but now it feels like the lower control arms are shot all of a sudden.
I bring the car in thinking it will be improved and I get it back feeling like total crap. I'm going to get the lower control arms replaced but not by the dealer, that's for sure.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
I had my EPS motor replaced monday.

Feels the same... so no complaints here.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.