Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2010 Cobalt LS Has about 170,000 Miles

I am pretty sure this is a Rack and Pinion Issue

I have replaced the following ( Due to a Shaking problem not related to this issue)
Lower control arms
Stabilizer links
Hub Assemblies
and Outer Tie Rod Ends
Has All new tires

a Few days ago it started making a clunking almost popping sound when I turn the wheel while I am not moving or going at low speeds.

The steering wheel is completely upside down at time in order to be traveling straight
when taking corner I lose steering all together like the car wants to continue straight but i want it to turn
Also experienced this while traveling down the highway it's similar to if you hit a patch of Ice

My Airbag Lights are on and my horn no longer works I assume that it is because the wires are not meant to survive being upside down

Just looking for confirmation or input before i go ordering Parts

Thanks for Any Help or insight you can offer

·
Registered
12 Posts
Before you order parts inspect the steering system check the midshaft that’s the steering column inside the engine bay it has a u joint on it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Before you order parts inspect the steering system check the midshaft that’s the steering column inside the engine bay it has a u joint on it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That was the first thing that I checked Had someone turn the wheel for me and the sound is coming from where the pinion gear is But Will give it a better checking

·
Registered
279 Posts
It is quite possible for the rack to be this loose. I would recommend to absolutely not drive the car at all. Park it or have it towed before you wreck the car.

I would start looking at the car with both front tires lifted off of the ground. Have an assistant jerk the steering wheel back and forth while you hold the tire. You can get a feel if there is any looseness. Also move the tires in and out to feel for a loose part.

What you describe sounds as if the pinion gear is losing contact with the rack gear.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts