Chevy Cobalt Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to make my own intake using the kit and parts sold at my local parts store (i.e. Advanced Auto or Pep-Boys) and I was wondering if this is truly everything needed to make a short ram intake? Besides a clamp or two.

Any one with experience please help me out. I am trying to get the parts and install tonight...

I drive a 08 lt sedan with a 2.2l

#9405 MAF adapter
#8219 Universal Aluminum Kit
#9499 90 degree elbow tube
#8132 P4 Cone filter
#9332 Silicone Coupler

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
I am going to make my own intake using the kit and parts sold at my local parts store (i.e. Advanced Auto or Pep-Boys) and I was wondering if this is truly everything needed to make a short ram intake? Besides a clamp or two.

Any one with experience please help me out. I am trying to get the parts and install tonight...

I drive a 08 lt sedan with a 2.2l

#9405 MAF adapter
#8132 P4 Cone filter
#9332 Silicone Coupler
That's pretty much it but I would throw in the extra 10-20 bucks and get a t-bolt clamp and the Mounting bracket kit to hold it in place. You might also have to alter the universal aluminum kit to shorten the straight part of the tube a little bit, but I'm not sure Ill be getting the aluminum kit real soon just to replace my plastic one. PM me if you have any more questions. And if you haven't done the airbox mod, now would be a good time too.

·
Registered
1 Posts
i did the airbox mod and now my car is throwing a engine code... im not sure if its from that or not because it comes on and off i also have a feeling it might be the idiots in NJ who run the gas pumps not tighting my gas cap all the way hopefully soon ill get around to put a scanner on it

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
I did the mod when i put in my sri and I still haven't gotta a cel

---------- Post added at 05:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:41 PM ----------

Thats why I pump my own gas

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Ah the spectre intake. I'm not sure if the aluminum kit will fit tho. You can go cold air with that too ya know

·
Premium Member
787 Posts

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
OK i start with the first question Aluminum vs the plastic kit, There both kind of equal on the difficulty level with the plastic kit I had to dremel a spot for the maf sensor to go which was a pita, the aluminum kit you would have to shorten the straight end of the tube a little bit so your MAF adapter will fit and still have space for the filter. The plastic kit comes in about 3 or 4 pieces and the aluminum is one piece. You can use the maf adapter with the plastic kit but since the adapter is aluminum its a little duller then the chrome shine on the plastic one.

Question 2 the the airbox mod is removing the silencer that sits in front of you passenger side wheel well that quiets down the sound of air coming in it looks kinda like a plastic air bladder and removing it gives it a better sound. That part is up to you. I think its worth it since you need to get to it to remove the stock air box anyways.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Is there a big difference in price? Between the Aluminum and the plastic one? Is there any d.i.y. threads with pics?

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
Is there a big difference in price? Between the Aluminum and the plastic one? Is there any d.i.y. threads with pics?
Same cost I think. I think there is a diy for it you would have to look for it. But it might be the plastic kit.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Is there any other models of cars that have a similar intake? There is quite a few intakes on my local craigslist for cheap that look nice but I am wondering if they would fit or work...

---------- Post added at 10:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:26 PM ----------

Is there any other cars that have the same maf adapter and intake size?

·
Registered
125 Posts
i have all the same questions Burnt has so help is much appreciated
thanks burnt for starting the thread before i did

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
Is there any other models of cars that have a similar intake? There is quite a few intakes on my local craigslist for cheap that look nice but I am wondering if they would fit or work...

---------- Post added at 10:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:26 PM ----------

Is there any other cars that have the same maf adapter and intake size?
g5's are all I can think of. Its really not hard to make your own intake.

i have all the same questions Burnt has so help is much appreciated
thanks burnt for starting the thread before i did
What questions do you have, I'm willing to answer any questions for someone sportin the Grenade Logo..

·
Registered
125 Posts
Just in general about intakes how to custom build one to save money.. what parts u need to build one.. rough cost of all the parts, etc.. i want CAI or SRI but dont got the money to but a K&N or anything and i know what im doing under the hood so i dont mind putting together my own just dont have experience doing it..

oh and im not just sporting it on the avatar my friend haha...

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
Badass Tat been thinkin of one for myself, I sport grenade shit all the time i have about 6 paiurs of the skeleshred gloves for mechanic work.
Like Burnt put in his first post, these are the part numbers for the spectre pieces you need
#9405 MAF adapter
#8132 P4 Cone filter
#9332 Silicone Coupler x3 Comes in 3 different colors
You can also add a t bolt clamp and the universal bracket kit to hold it in its place. Roughly it cost 80 to 100 bucks. I think (and I'm really guessing on this one) but I think you have to shave about 2 inches back on the straight end of the universal pipe for the maf adapter to fit correctly. Basicly once you get the pipe cut its really straight forward like putting any CAI kit together. Any other questions or part numbers needed PM me.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.