Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted a gmpp manifold but the price and the install scared me. Then I read into it is just a honed identical twin of my factory manifold. heres my question. I know the stock Ls monifold has a D shape at the the end compared to the ss one and the honed performance manifold which has a O at the end. My ques. is, is that if I drop my downpipe and hone the end of my factory manifold to where its a O instead of a D wouldnt that give me some cheap 1-3 hp? and maybe change the exhaust tone? because Id hate to spend 300 on the same stock manifold if its just shaved a lil bit, assuming I could do the work myself with a dremel. Thanks in advance for the opinions

·
Banned
384 Posts
no. If you feel anything at all its in your head. if you want a cheap way to get some hp find a ss guy that upgraded and buy his stock header and dp. it will give you a little bit of hp and a little sound. best thing honestly if your looking for performance is buy a name brand header dp. youll pick 10+ ponies for sure.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
the extrude honed one isnt just shaved a little. it removes the casting flaws inside the manifold and all the "divets" created by when it was casted. espec down on the insides of the tube where you cant really get with a grinder to port and smooth it out.

granted its not like a header but its worth the money. i have one. the diameters on both sides of the manifold (inlet and outlet) are considerable bigger

but also if you dont wanna spend $300 and want some cheaper ponies i have my stock manifold that im selling stock or ported. its in the for sale section

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If I decided to hone the manifold myself would It throw a cel due to the flow change? would the cel come on if a header was installed. In not trying to void warrenty here.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
If I decided to hone the manifold myself would It throw a cel due to the flow change? would the cel come on if a header was installed. In not trying to void warrenty here.

your most likely not gunna throw a cel but i was considering the same thing before i gave in and bought mine. i called a local extruding place and they wanted $500 to do it to my stock manifold. so i just bought one

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
The SS 2.4/2.0 exhaust manifold doesnt have as many turns as the 2.2 exhaust manifold. The extrude-honed manifold provides 7% more flow over a stock SS manifold. The stock SS manifold provides enough flow for the 2.0 to produce 200+ HP so it will provide enough flow for your 2.2 -- the extrude honed manifold is just "icing on the cake" - so to speak.
If the flow difference isn't enough as some say do you think a 2.0 owner would even consider using a 2.2 manifold?

·
Registered
594 Posts
if you want to go a cheaper route for a header go with with the stainless steel pacesetter header for 260.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I have a pony :) haha well I did the SS Swap on my balt when I had her along with a CAI and noticed a god difference in hp at higher RPM's. The negative is that you lose low end torque. I would honestly do that or buy a header depending on how much ur going to mod the car. The SS manifold works better with a free flowing exaust and intake but HP gains are decent for the money.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.