Chevy Cobalt Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am buying my first chevy cobalt. Its nothing special like the ss. Sadly its the LT for now.. i am wondering if i do a muffler delete or just straight pipe the exhaust if i will get a really nice sound as well as some crackles (pops,backfire) without it sounding stupid. And yes i know backfires are suppose to mean bad things but thats why i put crackle and pop cause id just like it to sound like any other high performanced car with it. I will be putting a cold air intake as well if that will help.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Strait pipe and or muffler delete will sound ricey like most four cylinder engines will. For a deeper tone, I suggest a fairly long glass pack after the catalytic converter, then a shorter one installed at least 20 inches away from the exhaust tip. Going with 2.25 inch pipe. For a cheap exhaust setup, that has been a good combo for a not too buzzy sound. Of course the larger the pipe the louder the sound will be and also loss of low end power.

The pop and crackle sound is probably not going to be as prevalent on these cars unless you have a tune done and are increasing the fuel ratio. If you’re going for an 05-06 there’s not many options for power adding unless you find someone to tinker with the computer or add a stand alone unit which is why the 05-06 2.2 is really not too popular among tuning unfortunately.

The intake will add some noise. The power it adds is minimal from everything I’ve read from other owners. I have considered the Injen cold air intake though since it can be converted to a short intake.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts