Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After going to the track last night I decided that I want to install a switch to manually turn on the electric fans whenever I want to keep the engine cooler. I have done some research and have found that there are 3 12AGW wires going to the fans. These are Blue, Gray, and Black. Blue controls the power to the first fan, Gray controls power to the second fan, and Black is the universal ground. I found a wiring diagram that stated to use a 30A relay for each fan and have the switch inside the car control the ground to the relay. The only problem I have with this is that it didnt specify which type of relay to use and wanted each fan wired on its own relay/circuit. I was wondering if I could just simply take the Blue and Gray wires and splice them together and just run them to a switch with a fuse inline. If so what size fuse should I use for this curcuit

·
Registered
257 Posts
i hate to tell you this but it will be a waste of time and money.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its gonna cost of all like $5 to do and its not a waste if you go to the strip. When i race and I am just in the staging lanes moving up little by little my car reaches upwards of 200+. The fan first doesnt automatically kick in until around 205 and at that point its gonna take awhile for it to cool off. Its a lot better to turn them on manually and keep the engine around 180 or lower instead of waiting for them to kick in automatically.

·
Registered
41 Posts
yea i mean i agree but the only catch is that once u instal that switch the fans wont come on automatically if im catching what your saying cuz i know people who have just replace the stock fans with ones that use switch and are bigger...am i wrong in what im saying or will u be able to just use the switch as an over ride as aposed to a toggle

·
Registered
257 Posts
This mod will do nothing....It's not going to cut your 1/4 time, it's not going to add any torque, it's not going to add any horsepower, and it wont get you laid. It's not a V8 we dont have heat problems nor do you have the mods to create heat problems. I'm sorry but the reality of it is it just wont do anything for racing.

If anything you should be concerned about the heat build up in your tranny. A tranny cooler would be time better spent...especially autos. But like i said you just dont have the mods.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yea i mean i agree but the only catch is that once u instal that switch the fans wont come on automatically if im catching what your saying cuz i know people who have just replace the stock fans with ones that use switch and are bigger...am i wrong in what im saying or will u be able to just use the switch as an over ride as aposed to a toggle
The way I am going to run it I will just be forcing the relay to close whenever I want via a switch. If the switch is off everything runs like it would stock and would turn the fans on at the preset temps.

alpha_male1 said:
This mod will do nothing....It's not going to cut your 1/4 time, it's not going to add any torque, it's not going to add any horsepower, and it wont get you laid. It's not a V8 we dont have heat problems nor do you have the mods to create heat problems. I'm sorry but the reality of it is it just wont do anything for racing.

If anything you should be concerned about the heat build up in your tranny. A tranny cooler would be time better spent...especially autos. But like i said you just dont have the mods.
The main cause of my heat issue is my powdercoated valve cover. It is a darker color and traps a lot more heat than a cover that is stock. There was a complete stock ls there and his car never hit 200 all day but mine with the powdercoated cover hits 200 constantly. As for heat not having anything to do with running better that is pure BS. I have slips to prove that when my car was at 205 to 210 it ran 0.2 seconds slower than when it was at 185. Also if heat isnt an issue than way do cold air intakes improve performance? With your logic I should just put the intake right next to the exhaust manifold and its not going to change a damn thing. As for the tranny cooler I am aware of that issue as well and will be installing one shortly.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
I am alll for Biniecki...Seems like something i would want to do

·
Registered
83 Posts

I have to agree with this. I was considering putting a switch in as well, but I just don't have the mods. That and it's my daily driver. I don't want to run the risk of screwing something up by either A) forgetting to turn the fans on, or B) messing up the wiring and really screwing things up. In my opinion, it's a bad idea.

·
Registered
257 Posts
The way I am going to run it I will just be forcing the relay to close whenever I want via a switch. If the switch is off everything runs like it would stock and would turn the fans on at the preset temps.

The main cause of my heat issue is my powdercoated valve cover. It is a darker color and traps a lot more heat than a cover that is stock. There was a complete stock ls there and his car never hit 200 all day but mine with the powdercoated cover hits 200 constantly. As for heat not having anything to do with running better that is pure BS. I have slips to prove that when my car was at 205 to 210 it ran 0.2 seconds slower than when it was at 185. Also if heat isnt an issue than way do cold air intakes improve performance? With your logic I should just put the intake right next to the exhaust manifold and its not going to change a damn thing. As for the tranny cooler I am aware of that issue as well and will be installing one shortly.
ROFL......intakes dont add performance they free up your gas mileage. you should have just got a early 90's honda and drop 5 grand on it then i think you would be around the level of tunning you deserve to be in

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ROFL...jesus your such a tool...intakes dont add performance dodo they free up your gas mileage. you should have just got a early 90's honda and drop 5 grand on it then i think you would be around the level of tunning you deserve to be in
apparently you have never looked at a dyno of a car b4 and after of an intake install. The do help gas milage and increase HP no matter if its just a few.

·
Registered
79 Posts
and plus..theres more ppl on this site that like to bash on wut u dont know and what they do know..other words.. make u feel stpid compared to them...just take the usefull stuff out of wut ppl say on here...and dude..no matter if ppl say it wont work or make a difference ..if u want to do it the go ahead bc its ur car..

·
Registered
162 Posts
I just ignore Alpha_Male now, I think he wants to be a "know-it-all" but he needs to get some more experience under his belt first.
I agree, every time he posts its always on something bashing other peoples expectations when he just really needs to sit back and if he doesnt have nice anything to say dont say anything at all. Its good to give advice on what you know, not bashing anything about that. But its his car, let him do as he please.

I say go for it and let us know how it works out for you.

·
Registered
257 Posts
apparently you have never looked at a dyno of a car b4 and after of an intake install. The do help gas milage and increase HP no matter if its just a few.
you cant even feel a few hp when your driving...it only makes you THINK your going faster because it sounds louder

I just ignore Alpha_Male now, I think he wants to be a "know-it-all" but he needs to get some more experience under his belt first.
What?you guys believe intakes add OMG amounts of power and other stupid shit like that and i'm the one to ignore? Most of you idiots have power goals beyond your own comprehension and have limited to no knowledge when it comes to tuning a car. I dont "know-it-all" but i do know that stupid shit like turning on a fan just before you launch in a freaking econobox is retarded. you drive a cobalt bro, a 2.2L at that. You have no boost, no nos, no nothing in your mod list that anyone would consider to be a legit tuner car. Very few (<<i use that term loosely) and i mean VERY FEW cobalts on this site are worth mention and your's is def. not one of them. You have to drop quite a bit of money in the 2.2L to make decent times and no that doesn't mean a $5 fan from Pancho's auto shop. I mean thousands on top of thousands. Your trying to make something out of nothing bro....you might as well be running....and i quote a guy you prolly consider GOD...."hopes and dreams".....wake up bro. your in a dream that wont come true. If you had the money for a decent sports car....you would have got a sports car. Instead you got an econobox that barely makes 200lbs/tq w/ a turbo....which you have yet to get. so that is your reality check....

I agree, every time he posts its always on something bashing other peoples expectations when he just really needs to sit back and if he doesnt have nice anything to say dont say anything at all. Its good to give advice on what you know, not bashing anything about that. But its his car, let him do as he please.

I say go for it and let us know how it works out for you.
If i "bash" peoples expectations it's because you kids want a 500hp beast and either dont have the knowledge nor the bones to make it that far. and expectations from a 2.2L shouldn't be so high for an entry level econobox anyway. I dont intend to "bash"...but you guys really do need to wake up and smell the oil....

·
Registered
83 Posts
Damn can't we all just get along. I think everyone is making valid points on this. I think it's not such a great idea to install a switch for fans, but if you want to spend the money, go ahead and do it. Intakes DO increase your hp, but alpha is right. They don't increase but AT MOST maybe 18-20, and thats even pushing it. I have a cai by Injen on my car and I only increased by 12 hp. The engine we have in our cars, mine being a 2.2L, weren't meant to to souped up, hence the name ECOtec. It's an economy. It does have the potential to throw out an insane amount of hp and torque; take the cavalier drag car for example. It's running the 2.2 and pushes out nearly 1200 hp, but it was also designed by engineers with years and years of experiance and FAT bank accounts. I plan on doing work on my car, but my reasons are mainly done to make it stand out from other 'balts. She's my daily driver as well, so why would I bother dumping loads of money into her. Thats what my project car is for ('70 C10 stepside w/ crate 350). What you choose to do with your car is your own opinion. All we offer on here is what WE as others would do.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
you cant even feel a few hp when your driving...it only makes you THINK your going faster because it sounds louder

What?you guys believe intakes add OMG amounts of power and other stupid shit like that and i'm the one to ignore? Most of you idiots have power goals beyond your own comprehension and have limited to no knowledge when it comes to tuning a car. I dont "know-it-all" but i do know that stupid shit like turning on a fan just before you launch in a freaking econobox is retarded. you drive a cobalt bro, a 2.2L at that. You have no boost, no nos, no nothing in your mod list that anyone would consider to be a legit tuner car. Very few (<<i use that term loosely) and i mean VERY FEW cobalts on this site are worth mention and your's is def. not one of them. You have to drop quite a bit of money in the 2.2L to make decent times and no that doesn't mean a $5 fan from Pancho's auto shop. I mean thousands on top of thousands. Your trying to make something out of nothing bro....you might as well be running....and i quote a guy you prolly consider GOD...."hopes and dreams".....wake up bro. your in a dream that wont come true. If you had the money for a decent sports car....you would have got a sports car. Instead you got an econobox that barely makes 200lbs/tq w/ a turbo....which you have yet to get. so that is your reality check....

If i "bash" peoples expectations it's because you kids want a 500hp beast and either dont have the knowledge nor the bones to make it that far. and expectations from a 2.2L shouldn't be so high for an entry level econobox anyway. I dont intend to "bash"...but you guys really do need to wake up and smell the oil....

I never claimed that an intake gives you "OMG Power" I simply stated that it does improve HP and MPG even if you cant feel it. Just because you can't feel it doesn't mean that it isn't there. Also I don't believe anyone ever said anything about tying to get 500HP out of our cars in this thread. Your just coming up with your own allegations to rant about which is pointless.

There was also no mention of ever putting an aftermarket fan in, only forcing the relay to close to turn them on. The intention is not to just turn it on before launch. I know that wouldn't do a damn thing. If you actually paid attention you would know that I want it for the staging lanes. When the car is idle moving up in line is when it really starts to heat up.

I love how you feel the need to bash on what everyone has to say like it makes you more of a man or something. Saying all this shit about tuners and 4 cylinder cars, and yada yada yada, but if Im not mistaken this is a forum of mostly cobalt owner. If you are like the majority and have a cobalt I find it hysterical that your just going to bash a car that you personally own. As for waking up and smelling the oil, Im sorry but my car doesnt burn oil.

mlhseabee said:
Damn can't we all just get along. I think everyone is making valid points on this. I think it's not such a great idea to install a switch for fans, but if you want to spend the money, go ahead and do it. Intakes DO increase your hp, but alpha is right. They don't increase but AT MOST maybe 18-20, and thats even pushing it. I have a cai by Injen on my car and I only increased by 12 hp. The engine we have in our cars, mine being a 2.2L, weren't meant to to souped up, hence the name ECOtec. It's an economy. It does have the potential to throw out an insane amount of hp and torque; take the cavalier drag car for example. It's running the 2.2 and pushes out nearly 1200 hp, but it was also designed by engineers with years and years of experiance and FAT bank accounts. I plan on doing work on my car, but my reasons are mainly done to make it stand out from other 'balts. She's my daily driver as well, so why would I bother dumping loads of money into her. Thats what my project car is for ('70 C10 stepside w/ crate 350). What you choose to do with your car is your own opinion. All we offer on here is what WE as others would do.
Well put

·
Registered
257 Posts
Ya, but note that the 2.2L in the drag balts is destroked and bored...resembling nothing of our 2.2s...night and day. but your correct those guys actually know what they're doing and have the cash to back it up
I never claimed that an intake gives you "OMG Power" I simply stated that it does improve HP and MPG even if you cant feel it. Just because you can't feel it doesn't mean that it isn't there. Also I don't believe anyone ever said anything about tying to get 500HP out of our cars in this thread. Your just coming up with your own allegations to rant about which is pointless.

There was also no mention of ever putting an aftermarket fan in, only forcing the relay to close to turn them on. The intention is not to just turn it on before launch. I know that wouldn't do a damn thing. If you actually paid attention you would know that I want it for the staging lanes. When the car is idle moving up in line is when it really starts to heat up.

I love how you feel the need to bash on what everyone has to say like it makes you more of a man or something. Saying all this shit about tuners and 4 cylinder cars, and yada yada yada, but if Im not mistaken this is a forum of mostly cobalt owner. If you are like the majority and have a cobalt I find it hysterical that your just going to bash a car that you personally own. As for waking up and smelling the oil, Im sorry but my car doesnt burn oil.

Well put
....your such a looser. You know i'm right you just cant face reality. I may come off as an ******* but if thats your pathetic way of escaping what i'm saying, THE TRUTH, than that just shows how feeble your mind really is...i'm done w/ this thread and for the record th OP is a joke who's never going to get anywhere w/ his car and this thread should be locked for him giving out false information....

·
Registered
80 Posts
Alpha, if you can give cold hard facts, with proof to back it up, its not bashing, but you saying "Thats stupid" and "Thats a waste of ***" just gives off that your bashing or BSing about things. Im more than willing to let bygones be bygones, but your the reason I "switched" to a better site, with mature people that actually are willing to give advice instead of take a bat to everyone's ideas.

·
Registered
257 Posts
i agree with biniecki

cobalt-z added 1 Minutes and 37 Seconds later...

vote ban alpha!!!!!
ROFL.....so you guys ban people who actually speak the truth so you can go about your false realities do ya?

Alpha, if you can give cold hard facts, with proof to back it up, its not bashing, but you saying "Thats stupid" and "Thats a waste of ***" just gives off that your bashing or BSing about things. Im more than willing to let bygones be bygones, but your the reason I "switched" to a better site, with mature people that actually are willing to give advice instead of take a bat to everyone's ideas.
It's common sense...i mean it's an econobox w/ a manual switch that isn't needed? I dunno....maybe the people on this site need to take a class or something cause the knowledge on this site is ridiculous....

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.