Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive read so many threads that's its not even funny. some say use GM only fluid, others say use synthetic and then other people say the synthetic acts up with the synchros and causes issues. Can anyone give me a clear answer as to what fluid is right for my F23 transmission? with 100k miles or 160k km on my car I figure its time to change it.

·
Premium Member
3,860 Posts
The owners manual says to use Dextron III, which has since gone out of production. My dealer (who I never go see) said Dextron VI is a suitable replacement and upgrade, and that's what I put in my car. At 105,000km the fluid was a dark brown colour with metal shavings sitting at the bottom. ZZP says MT-90 is the best possible tranny fluid for our cars, but it's pricey.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
GM fluid lasted this long...

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There's a thread for this. Have you physically checked the fluid to see if its dirty?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
no I haven't but I know my passenger side axle seal has a slight leak to it and im not sure how much fluid is in there.

---------- Post added at 09:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:15 PM ----------

GM fluid lasted this long...
sounds like something I would say.

---------- Post added at 09:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:16 PM ----------

The owners manual says to use Dextron III, which has since gone out of production. My dealer (who I never go see) said Dextron VI is a suitable replacement and upgrade, and that's what I put in my car. At 105,000km the fluid was a dark brown colour with metal shavings sitting at the bottom. ZZP says MT-90 is the best possible tranny fluid for our cars, but it's pricey.
I know dex6 is correct for the automatics but ive read that it should never be used in manual transmissions.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
seems like the proper fluid is GM part Number 88861800

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
it means the proper fluid is that part number from gm, but from more research a lot of people say its basically just dex 3

·
Levee
3,210 Posts
it means the proper fluid is that part number from gm, but from more research a lot of people say its basically just dex 3
It is.

I've gone 10,000km+ on DexVI with no issues. It smoothed out my shifting through the gates a bit, especially during the snowy months. Which, is the majority of months in Quebec.
DexVI can be used in anything pre to it. So it can be run in a Dex I, II, and III system. It has all the same additives with a little extra.

As far as the fluid type. Look, just go with Dex III/VI and call it a day. The dealership stuff is the same as ANY others out there.

As far as synthetics, and other stuff, there has been proof showing that certain synthetics actually do damage your transmission. For example, GM Synchromesh (best stuff out there for a MT), actually eats away at the synchros in newer (04+) transmissions FROM GM and others. GM Synchromesh has a harsh additive that is like acid to help clean the synchros on older transmissions, and that additive will actually eat the new synchro material away.

So I'd be very careful when using synthetics.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well thanks levi. I have two 5 gallon jugs of dex 3 at my shop so im just gunna use that. ill take pictures of the fluid when I take it out.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.