Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if thats the correct name, but ill attempt to describe what Im wondering about.

Ive been looking to get a torque wrench or something which will allow me to tighten my mods to the proper specs. I was leaning away from air powered wrenches because I dont have any sort of compressor or anything like that and Ive only seen one plug in electric one which was similar.

So what im wondering is about a couple "hand powered" torque wrenches I saw.

One of them is a ratchet style one at pepboys that can be set to a certain torque and then I guess it gives away once you reach that amount or whatever.
somewhat like this:
Ratchet torque wrenches - STANLEY-PROTO - Screwing tool

the other is like a breaker bar, but has a separate metal rod that moves as you apply force and theres a scale on which it points to show how much torque youre applying. No luck finding a pic of this one, but they sell them for like 20 bucks at my local hardware store.

So do any of you have any advice or experience about these options or is getting an air/electric powered one really the best option?

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do not get the second one described, they are easy to break.
I was hoping someone would mention that just so I could be sure. Just holding the thing it didnt feel very strong, but it was quite a bit cheaper than the other options. Ill def avoid it though.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Snap-On tools make good ones IMO anyways, thats what I use at work ( its not mine is a bodyman's but I borrow it anyways cuz he likes the sparkle in my eyes, and I bat my eyelashes)

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
The "breaker bar" type is very accurate even after being driven over by a car...LoL.

Read some reviews of name brand ones and you'd be surprised at how good they are. Choice is yours though...both types do what you need. Point is...use a torque wrench on every major bolt.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I guess one of the things I didnt like about the breaker bar style ones was also that the smaller bar which pointed at the torque scale didnt seem to rest on zero properly so I figured id get inaccurate readings because of it.

The ratchet style seems more heavy duty and possibly reliable, but ill have to check what brands they are and see what I can find out.

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
It's standard procedure to zero the wrench by tweaking the needle. I have both kinds of torque wrenches, all sizes. They all seem to be OK.

·
Premium Member
2,473 Posts
the rathcet type is also called a "click type" torque wrench and the breaker bar withthe extr bar that shows the torque is commonly called a "deflection type" torque wrench. Read the instructions on storage and use of the wrench, improper storage can cause the readings to be off.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hmmm, guess I have more to think about than I thought haha.

The deflection kind was about a 3rd the price, but the click type came with several bits...ill have to do some more research into whats offered and all that.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Just a heads up too, i think for bolting on "mods" you would find a Inch pounds torque wrench more useful....

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
As long as I dont mind taking the time to type things in to get the conversion, this should work fine to give me the right numbers and all that right?

Foot-Pounds to Inch-Pounds Conversion Calculator
I would never suggest using a ft/lbs wrench on a bolt requiring in/lbs. Some of those bolts are easy to break if overtorqued to the slightest extent (Many of the engine bolts).

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
I had to replace the water pump on my Fiero the weekend before this one. I bought a LOT of tools for the job, and a craftsman torque wrench that was in inch/pounds, cause I needed a wrench that covered 2-22ft/lbs of torque for the pump bolts.. Ended up not using it and tightening them all by feel, I know its not good- but that wrench was way too big to fit.

I found it annoying to adjust, took really long and actually made my hand hurt twisting the handle for 5 mins straight to get from one end of range to the other lol... The handle was plastic and felt cheap, but meh. I returned it 2 days ago, I plan on getting a digital one- or something better for when I start taking my engine/suspension apart and really need it.

·
Premium Member
2,473 Posts
Try adjusting a 150-1000inch pound from 100 to 750. If you know how to addjust them it doenst take all that long to do.

---------- Post added at 08:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:01 PM ----------

I would never suggest using a ft/lbs wrench on a bolt requiring in/lbs. Some of those bolts are easy to break if overtorqued to the slightest extent (Many of the engine bolts).
As long as one is aware of what kind (ft-lb or in-lb) they should be fine. 12 ft pounds is th same as 144 inch pounds. Me and my people do that all the time when we do not have access to the ft-lb or in-lb torque wrench.
I have never used a computer program for simple math either. I have always just used simple math with a pen and paper to figure out the values

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.