Chevy Cobalt Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody.....well when I bought my Balt it had 52k on the odo but now im right at 60k and .........I want to change my tranny fluid but from what ive read you have to but in a special fluid that meets chevys specs..........can you guys shed some light on this and could this b done by myself is it easy??? Yes I do have mechanical experience.....thanks

·
Registered
462 Posts
Go with Royal Purple... that's what I used and it works just fine... I changed mine like 5k ago and still going strong.

·
Registered
74 Posts
the $12 a quart syncromesh is for the SS balts manual tranny. For the LS, LT and non ss balt the syncromesh is a semi syn and is about $4 a quart at the dealer. Stick with the oem, just changing it is already putting you a head of average maintenence scheduling

·
Registered
462 Posts
the $12 a quart syncromesh is for the SS balts manual tranny. For the LS, LT and non ss balt the syncromesh is a semi syn and is about $4 a quart at the dealer. Stick with the oem, just changing it is already putting you a head of average maintenence scheduling
Right. Getting the OEM fluid for LS/LT would be a little hard though since they don't just sell it over the counter. As I've said earlier, go get some Royal Purple, it meets and exceeds the OEM specifications, plus doesn't cost as much... and all you'll need is about 1.8qts

·
Registered
273 Posts
i thought the manual in the new cars worked with the master cylinder and was a "fill and forget?"
that has nothing to do with the tranny lube. the master cylinder just powers the hydraulic brakes and clutch.

·
Registered
462 Posts
2 qts Dexron 3 Compatible ATF

/thread
1.8qts ;) and I'd recommend going with something higher brand like Royal Purple (maybe like a dollar or two difference) but atleast you know you got some good stuff in :)

Oh and for the /thread, you're the mod, end it for real lmao..

/thread

·
Registered
273 Posts
ATF in a manual? did I read that right? sounds fishy to me!!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.