Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Not justice...Punishment
3,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Historically the biggest danger to cars that are driven to max mpg has always been the build up of carbon. These cars are typically not driven in a manner that keeps the carbon from building up in the engine and exhaust system. It's the granny car syndrome. A car that is driven slowly and gently can begin to build up carbon deposits in the EGR system, the muffler, and the catalytic converter. These carbon deposits pile up over time and can be the death of a car.

How do you drive a car for max mpg yet keep it cleaned out? Blow it out.

This is a very unscientific process to be repeated every three or four months based on every 5,000 - 6,000 miles. It's very simple.

1. Drive max mpg as normal up to the 1/4 mark on the fuel gauge. Write down your avg mpg result at that point like you normally would at fuel up.

2. Switch your display OFF of your instant mpg setting. Why? Well, the rest of this tank does not count.

3. Drive in an aggressive manner the rest of the tank. I say aggressive because if you drive for max mpg your idea of aggressive is everyone else's idea of normal. You want hard acceleration up to speed, jackrabbit starts, etc. The purpose is to literally blow the built up carbon out of the tail pipe.

4. Refuel and go back to your max mpg driving. You will take a hit on your fuel range when you fill up again, but it's worth it to make sure that you keep that exhaust system clear. A plugged cat can be very expensive, and damage an engine.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
lol I definitely shouldnt have that problem. When I'm on the highway I hypermile, but on the streets its nothing but full- 3/4 throttle starts and whatnot, my tailpipe should be squeaky clean :cheesy:. Good to know Will.

·
Registered
248 Posts
^^ that is what i was thinking; i mean isn't there a way u could hand clean it or something? I guess how u would clean a chimney or any other pipe?

·
Not justice...Punishment
3,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Or you could seafoam it every couple of months and save the gas....:blink1:
Very true. I used to use it all the time, but I am not sure of the long term effects on the Cobalt's motor or exhaust system. That and if it did cause harm how would you explain it when you took it in for warranty work?

It seems to be that this way is just easier.

·
Premium Member
745 Posts
Seafoam doesn't hurt anything. Would you mind if i asked where you got the info from the first post? Carbon buildup is just that. It takes a little more than some aggressive driving to clean it out.

·
Not justice...Punishment
3,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Seafoam doesn't hurt anything. Would you mind if i asked where you got the info from the first post? Carbon buildup is just that. It takes a little more than some aggressive driving to clean it out.
No problem. It's an old school method. My father was an ASE Certified Master Mechanic until he retired a few years ago. I also double checked with the one real ASE Cert. mechanic we have at our local stealership, and he says the same thing, although he says he has never seen evidence of carbon buildup in a Cobalt. He has never seen one hypermiled either, so his info is a little shaky.

Periodic aggressive driving is not meant to clean it out. It's meant to keep it clean. If there was already a problem with carbon build up this process will not fix it, it's meant to keep a problem from starting.

In return, would you mind if I asked you where you get that Seafoam is harmless to the cobalt? I mean, yes, I concede that it is harmless to older cars, but most all of us still have powertrain warranties. I am sure people thinking of using it would like an assurance it would not cause warranty complications.

·
Premium Member
745 Posts
It doesn't do anything that voids a warranty. I guess you would have to clarify your question. that would be like saying Chevron fuels with Techron would void your warranty because they claim to clean the motor.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Or you could seafoam it every couple of months and save the gas....:blink1:
Hahaha yeah. I sea foamed my car not to long ago. sea foaming the car would actually be better than just trying to gun out the car

·
Not justice...Punishment
3,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok, so I went back and asked them specifically about sea foam. My dad grinned and said "I really don't give a shit what you do." Finally after explaining why I was asking he said, that it was harmless, but also thought it was unnecessary.

I also went and talked to Scott (the ASE mechanic I was referring to earlier). He said that it should be fine to use. I asked him about the warranty issue and he said "well, I would not hang a f***ing sign on the side of the car saying I use sea foam, but it should be ok."

What would you guys recommend as far as application? 1/2 in the gas, and 1/2 in the oil 500 miles before the oil change? Let me know what yall think so I can add it to the first post.

·
Premium Member
745 Posts
Ok, so I went back and asked them specifically about sea foam. My dad grinned and said "I really don't give a shit what you do." Finally after explaining why I was asking he said, that it was harmless, but also thought it was unnecessary.

I also went and talked to Scott (the ASE mechanic I was referring to earlier). He said that it should be fine to use. I asked him about the warranty issue and he said "well, I would not hang a f***ing sign on the side of the car saying I use sea foam, but it should be ok."

What would you guys recommend as far as application? 1/2 in the gas, and 1/2 in the oil 500 miles before the oil change? Let me know what yall think so I can add it to the first post.
1/3 in the oil, 1/3 in the gas, 1/3 in a vacuum line. Read Hatrickstu's how to on .nub. It's for an SC, but it still applies.

·
Say What again!
6,013 Posts
Seafoam = :love:

It's SO fun when you're just bellowing out carbon smoke.

I think I'll run some through when I hit 50k miles.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.