Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alrght... i got a 2.2l lt and was just wondering where i'd sit with hp, torque and 1/8 and 1/4 times if i were to put as much money as needed in without swapping engines?

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
with just bolt ons or can I turbo it and build the engine? If that's the case bankerbalt says like 400whp. Full bolt on's you're looking at around 180whp tops and most people say that's with cam swap too

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
bankerbalt says 400whp isn't out of the question, don't quote me but I think he said that'd be low 12's in the 1/4 mile and I don't remember him mentioning tq

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
banker has a mt right? hypothetically, if i were to do the same exact parts he has how much of a difference would our times be since i have an at?

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
Probably be a bit faster, but the gearing will be different at the end.

You are looking at around 5k in parts to build engine and turbo plus you're time installing and the car being down for engine build.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
if i were to get every part before even doing anything how long would it be out of commission if i had a shop do it?

EDIT: i mean i know it'll depend on the shop but could you ballpark it?

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
if i did everything again, i could probably rebuild the engine in a day and turbo it in a day. if an experienced shop can't do it in 4 days (figure 8 hour shifts), then they suck. if you bought a set of sleeves for your car or a sleeved block from zzp, you'd be looking at handling more than 400whp

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i was wondering when you'd reply... hahaha

i just hope you know that after going thru your showoff thread you have officially become a role model.

Edit: in a non creepy way.

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
lol thanks. girlfriend was over so i kept off the forums. nothing is too hard to do on these cars, it's really a matter if you have the tools and the resources to reference everything. for my rebuild, i just used the chiltons manual. for the turbo... i just put parts on and took a guess on my measurements for my hot side charge pipe

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
so wait... you think its a possible that i could do it myself? i mean... in all honesty i dont know too much about working on cars but i really want to learn.

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
lol anyone can do anything if they have the available resources. improvise, adapt and overcome, hasn't the marine corps taught you anything yet? ha. the only thing i've had a shop do for me is my first oil change when i got the car, an alignment, clean my block, and weld on a muffler. everything else has been me

---------- Post added at 11:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:20 PM ----------

also, when i bought this car, i didn't know a damn thing about engines

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
bahaahahaha, ive adapted and overcame everything ive done to my car yet. im just a bit intimidated by the big stuff... theres DIY shop on base thats only like 4 bucks an hour with free tool rental and such

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
hahahahaha they hook us up on base man... best part is, they have people who work there that help you too...

anything to keep us from getting drunk and destroying things

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
i know how that is. our sgt major at my reserve base up here just got busted for a dwi and is now getting forced retirement.

all the tools you really need to take the engine apart are... 8,10,12,13,15,17,18mm wrenches and sockets, a t10 or t12 torx, ft/lb torque ratchet, in/lb torque ratchet, extensions, 1/2 3/8 and 1/4 inch ratchets, honing tool, plasti gauge, feeler gauge. i think that's it

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
hahahahaha yea.

i just need a hobby and ive always wanted to get good with cars. there's always worse things i could spend my money on.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.