Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone walk me through maximizing the mpg's in my 2010 LT 2dr? I'm no mechanic, but I know a thing or two about cars and a lot about tools. I'm new to mods but I'm willing to learn. Whatever wisdom you guys have would be great, but I really want to get the most out of this great car.

Some ideas I had:
Remove back seats
Remove spare tire
Replace regular tires with more economic ones
Rebalance front seats with carbon fiber racing seats.

Here's what I've done to it already:
Ken wood 12" subwoofer with ken wood 1000 watt amplifier.
Oznium inferno underglow kit

---------- Post added at 10:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:26 PM ----------

Also Alpine speakers in the front and back.

·
Premium Member
2,635 Posts
Wouldn't the stereo components just take you a step backwards in weight reduction?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You're correct, but I also like to look good. I'm wanting a balance for now, but I will eventually take that out.

---------- Post added at 10:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:52 PM ----------

You're going to sink a crap ton of money into carbon fiber seats?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Yes, yes I am. Nothing is too expensive for my baby if she wants/needs it.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
there are far better things you could spend the money on for this car man...buuut its your car and your money!

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Removing seats and spare will have no effect on fuel mpg. Tire inflation on the other hand will affect to a certain degree. Driving habits have the most effect.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
there are far better things you could spend the money on for this car man...buuut its your car and your money!
Like I said, those were ideas. If you have better ideas, I'm all ears.

---------- Post added at 08:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:20 AM ----------

Removing seats and spare will have no effect on fuel mpg. Tire inflation on the other hand will affect to a certain degree. Driving habits have the most effect.
Won't a reduction in weight have an effect if even just a little? Especially in acceleration. The engine is having to do less work and therefore consuming less fuel. Am I right?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Pulse and glide on the road.

Set in neatral at long lights.

Set in neatral going down hills.

Turn off the daytime lights when cars are not around you.

Warm your car for 20 seconds in the cold mornings.

I average 32 mpg winter, and 36 in the summer, city and highway combined.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Thanks for the driving advice! Any ideas on modifying the car itself to increase mpg to do even better?

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
Honestly the money you spend on parts is going to far outway the gains in MPG. I have about every bolt on that can be put to this vehicle and hell ya I get great millage for how I drive. But it just isn't saving as much as adjusting my driving habbits.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Honestly the money you spend on parts is going to far outway the gains in MPG. I have about every bolt on that can be put to this vehicle and hell ya I get great millage for how I drive. But it just isn't saving as much as adjusting my driving habbits.
Don't really care about saving money. Money isn't a issue. I just want to get the most MPG's I can out of this car.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Do you drive mostly city or highway?

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
The definition of insanity is asking the same question over and over and expecting a different answer. Just sayin!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Do you drive mostly city or highway?
About an even amount of city and highway driving. Probably a little more towards the city side.

---------- Post added at 01:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:24 PM ----------

The definition of insanity is asking the same question over and over and expecting a different answer. Just sayin!
I am slightly insane. But I don't care

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
Do you understand where I am going with that though? Your best mod is going to be to the driver. I was able to get over 40mpg by going 60 for around 2 hours. Did I do it, yeah; is it practical, no. If you adjust your tire preasure and drive right, you will get the max. No mods needed

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Do you understand where I am going with that though? Your best mod is going to be to the driver. I was able to get over 40mpg by going 60 for around 2 hours. Did I do it, yeah; is it practical, no. If you adjust your tire preasure and drive right, you will get the max. No mods needed
So I have come to understand by reading some of these forums. I'm looking for anything on top of that.

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
You can replace the enitre suspension to hold stiffer and transfer engergy more efficient around corners. You can get CAI, full exhaust and tune the car, but you are looking at marginal performance increases not so much mpg specific increases.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts

If your car is a standard (automatic might do it) then you are equipped with DFCO, which is deceleration fuel cut off which anything over 1200rpm cuts off the fuel if you remove your foot from the pedal. GM claims its good for 1mpg city but you have to leave your car in gear. Putting it into neutral doesn't kick in DFCO

---------- Post added at 03:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:57 PM ----------

tires up to 38-40 psi is a win win too

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
I heard over 38 and you start to prematurely wear the tires.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
If your car is a standard (automatic might do it) then you are equipped with DFCO, which is deceleration fuel cut off which anything over 1200rpm cuts off the fuel if you remove your foot from the pedal. GM claims its good for 1mpg city but you have to leave your car in gear. Putting it into neutral doesn't kick in DFCO

---------- Post added at 03:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:57 PM ----------

tires up to 38-40 psi is a win win too
Thanks, but my car is auto. Idk if it makes a difference, but putting it in neutral makes sense since the engine wont be pushing aginst the brakes. If anything, it will save my brakes some wear in the long run.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.