Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
674 Posts
with the new 6 speed trans, that extra 100hp of the lnf, should yield 40 - 50 mpg on the highway... GM's designers don't understand what hot rodders from the past 40 years have known. Build an incredibly powerful motor, and make the final gear in the trans a strictly highway gear. You can pull only 1500 rpm at 70mph if you have the right gear, not 3,000 rpm. Low rpm and high speeds means great fuel economy...

·
Get Out The Sawzall
1,856 Posts
with the new 6 speed trans, that extra 100hp of the lnf, should yield 40 - 50 mpg on the highway... GM's designers don't understand what hot rodders from the past 40 years have known. Build an incredibly powerful motor, and make the final gear in the trans a strictly highway gear. You can pull only 1500 rpm at 70mph if you have the right gear, not 3,000 rpm. Low rpm and high speeds means great fuel economy...
Agreed 100%

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
X3 to that notion..

Put a 6 liter Vette in 6th at 60, and you got 30mpg... :rolleyes:

Do that with an LNF with an extremely tall ratio on the last gear, you've got 45+mpg...

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
I laughed when I heard about the LUJ. worse power than the balt... can you say step back? lol

am I the only one that can see ricers everywhere rallying there moms cruze, with a huge body kit and wing, cause it's turbo and SO fast... lol

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
sure they stepped off in horsepower but think about this, if little honda b16 engines are 13 sec potential motors, imagine what this boosted LUJ can do....na im jk its slow as hell lol

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
sure they stepped off in horsepower but think about this, if little honda b16 engines are 13 sec potential motors, imagine what this boosted LUJ can do....na im jk its slow as hell lol
you're joking, but think about this, the new civic si is a high 13 second car(the ninth gen is probably gonna be faster too)... chevs similar car is gonna be a 20 second... suddenly chev is gonna be laughed at

·
Not justice...Punishment
3,829 Posts
I am sure it will be laughed at if it were to show up at the drag races.... But that is not what this car is being built for. If you are going to down it for power maybe you all should wait to see the SS, if there is one.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
exacto - i don't like the high rpms when just going 70mph on the balt already - can't imagine what the cruze will be like w/ that engine and bigger body

I laughed when I heard about the LUJ. worse power than the balt... can you say step back? lol

am I the only one that can see ricers everywhere rallying there moms cruze, with a huge body kit and wing, cause it's turbo and SO fast... lol
lol x2!

I am sure it will be laughed at if it were to show up at the drag races.... But that is not what this car is being built for. If you are going to down it for power maybe you all should wait to see the SS, if there is one.
who knows, tho doubting that chance

·
Not justice...Punishment
3,829 Posts
I don't think there will be an SS. The people that look at cars like the Cobalt for power don't comprise much of a market segment really, and if they have a decent income they can be seduced into buying Camaros.

I think the Cruze will turn into an import killer in other ways, meaning mpg, comfort, and overall fit and finish.

·
Registered
674 Posts
I met this guy at the Turkey Rod Run in Daytona a few Thanksgivings ago, and he built himself a Tbucket ford roadster, with a Blown chevy 383 stroker motor. Also it was on some sort of set up type of trailer where the wheels could be free wheeling without the thing moving. He had the paperwork from the orlando area shop with the dyno and at idle the thing made 150rwhp, and at WOT it made 875rwhp. He also had a custom trans made by Art Carr (correct the spelling if someone knows who he is) out in California. Final gear was tall enough that with his 4.10 detroit locker in the rear he could pull idle rpm at 65mph. Again this guy had all the paperwork to prove it, and the trailer it was strapped down to.

So could you just imagine what his fuel mileage was at 65 and idle rpm??? Now I asked that question, so I can't be sure if his number he told me was correct, but he said if he is on the interstate and is able to do 65mph, he gets about 550miles to a 8 gal tank. That comes out to almost 69 Miles Per Gallon!!!

I just wish someone up at gm would give me a job in their power train department, ever friggen engine would be small block and blown, or "big displacement" four bangers turbo'd with a 6speed tranny, and final drive ratio that would let you do only 1250-1500 rpm at 70, not no 3000 rpm.

But in all seriousness, if they were that concerned with Polution out the tail pipes, and fuel mileage too, a high compression blown motor is the way to go, they burn 95% of their fuel 100% of the time and that 95% that is burnt is 100% burnt to the point that little has to be done to make it "breathable". and if they are concerned with city miles, put a clutch on the supercharger like they have for the twin charger set ups... That way you get good economy around town, have the hp when you need it, and get the power for the highway for that oh so sweet just off idle sound and fuel mileage

·
Registered
674 Posts
pics or ban
Ban me, its been a few years, I had them on my old computer, but picture this, its as close as I can get to showing you the picture...

Ford Blue Metalic frame, Same ford blue metalic for the body, but with Silver Pearl firewall and flames extending halfway back. Chrome front and rear bumpers, Tall Windshield, Rag top made of Tan Fabric, Tan Suede interior, Oak steering wheel with Chrome spokes, Chrome Shifter lever with a skull shift knob, Tan carpeting, then a Flat black radiator, with Silver Pearl surround, Chevy Blue Engine Block, Chrome everywhere, and (if I remember right) it seemed the blower was a foot tall with two Holly double pumpers (not sure of the series) Stainless braided steel brake, and fuel lines, Brembo Brakes front and rear, and a set of American Racing Outlaw I's polished mirror like.

All in all I think that car must have cost the guy at least 30k.

·
Registered
674 Posts
that quite possibly sounds like the best car ever short of KITT
dude if you saw it in person, you'd druel, I know I stood there slack jawed for a good 15 minutes walking around the car staring at the detail and the craftsmenship of the interior. Thing is, he drove it there, while his wife drove the truck with that contraption of a trailer in tow. I saw him leave the infield of Daytona while I was trying to make my way to the exit myself.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.