Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Name is Tim. I have a pretty decent track record with our little cars here. I've been through a lot with my car including almost every engine mod you can think of. Any questions regarding an N/A, supercharged or turbocharged build, I have no problem answering. I'm on here quite a bit, so feel free to PM me.

·
Premium Member
3,860 Posts
I'm trying to build this guy up on my speed dial, he knows his stuff so as long as I'm still living and breathing, I'm gunna keep squeezing him and a few others around here for precious knowledge. Thanks for opening up the flood gates =D

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Honestly, as long as you have a simple understanding of how to take apart and put something together, its all pretty easy. I think of engines as big, mechanical legos. Most turbos are t3/t4 flanged, so there are almost endless options. Smaller turbo will get you lots of torque on the lower end and it will taper off. Mid size turbo will spool a littlw bit later but will give you a linear-ish powerband like mine. Big turbo will be a big loss of low end power but a lot of power up top. The nice thing about going aftermarket turbos is that they are easily interchangeable as most are just a direct swap from a smaller aftermarket, unlike the k04 on the stock manifold and downpipe.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Levee
3,210 Posts
Are there other turbos other than the SS one thats easy enough to install? Like a small/er turbo from garret?
My 3076 was easy to install, and the 2871 was easy to install. I'd say the 2871 is where most people should look into, or just do the K04 upgrade to the stock SS turbo

·
Registered
60 Posts
Can you explain how to read a compressor map? I think that would help sizing up a turbo. I just want a small turbo for a little bump in speed and mpgs. It would help mpgs right?

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It will help for sure. I was getting around 40 when I was on 93. To be honest, I'm still learning and don't know how to read a compressor map. Leveecius will know I'm sure. He will chime in on that

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Levee
3,210 Posts
it will as long as you stay off the throttle all the time,

reading compressor maps is tricky lol

---------- Post added at 09:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:09 AM ----------

Let me ask this, how technical do you want to go into reading the maps?

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
i like it technical

---------- Post added at 07:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:14 AM ----------

;)

·
Levee
3,210 Posts
i like it technical

---------- Post added at 07:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:14 AM ----------

;)
How good are you at advanced Algebra?:weird:

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Very good actually.
i'm very advanced.
i shouldn't even be living on this planet.

·
Levee
3,210 Posts
Very good actually.
i'm very advanced.
i shouldn't even be living on this planet.
Well I'll tell you what, I'll write an article on it for you then with all the technicals.

I just want to know the basics. I really just don't understand what they're saying.
Compressor map reading for dummies. - HondaSwap Forums

That is about the easiest way explained to read compressor maps, and they still aren't easy lol.

Again, I will write a how-to on reading compressor maps.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Honestly, it's not that bad.

·
Levee
3,210 Posts
Once you get it down, no, it's not that bad at all. However, that's not all the specifics, it's just the basics. There is a LOT more to reading them than most people think. That's why I'm already working on the article on specifics.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
What do you do for a living Leveecius?
if you don't mind me asking....

·
Levee
3,210 Posts
right now I'm a couch bum, but my profession is a Mechanic (ASE Master Certified as can tell by my signature), was a mechanic in the Military for 6 years and owned and operated my own performance shop.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
What branch and what'd you work on

·
Levee
3,210 Posts
Army, worked on Track and Wheeled stuff. Was a 63 x-ray when I first went in, and was a 91x-ray when I got out.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
oh... that explains it, army. ha!
Just kidding.
I'm in the AF.. and i'm a 4B051, Bioenvironmental Engineering

1 - 20 of 74 Posts