Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys and gals it's been a few months since I posted anything but I got alot more done to my Cobalt since I've last posted on here.

I went to a local junk yard and managed to find some used Megan Racing springs they only charged me for $50 which was a steal, they were a little rusty looking so I wire brushed them to a better condition. I went to a performance and tuning garage a few miles near me they slapped them on and only charged me $100 for installation. I notice a huge difference from stock springs and aftermarket. The stock height was much higher and for the Megan my car sits lower only at a 2" drop but I still have wheel gap which is kinda disappointing but it's way better then having stock. The ride is a little bumpy when acceleration but no shaking or anything serious to worry about.

I been recommended to get B&G springs from other cobalt owners but I wanted to see how Megan racing would do before I purchased a more expense lowering spring especially since I got the Megan's for $50.

What do you guys think? Should I stick with the Megan? or get the B&G will the B&G have more or less of a wheel gap? Do you notice a difference? Please let me know I'm very curious and anxious about my USDM project. I'll post photos below ---------------- V

·
Premium Member
3,860 Posts
Anything is better than stock, especially for that price. You did good. Are you looking for low or do you want slot car handling? It's pretty widely agreed that YYZ springs are the best handling spring out there. I had Pedders and they did very well too, but the rears rusted out pretty bad.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Anything is better than stock, especially for that price. You did good. Are you looking for low or do you want slot car handling? It's pretty widely agreed that YYZ springs are the best handling spring out there. I had Pedders and they did very well too, but the rears rusted out pretty bad.
Absolutely anything is better than stock! Am pretty happy how the balt progress is turning out.

I'm looking for low I kinda want the wheels to be flush with the fender but I don't want to be completely slammed out.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I think they look good! make sure to get an alignment as well!
Sadly, to get a base model that low you have to be slammed or get different and slightly bigger wheels.

---------- Post added at 08:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:51 PM ----------

But, B&G will definitely have more low.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think they look good! make sure to get an alignment as well!
Sadly, to get a base model that low you have to be slammed or get different and slightly bigger wheels.

---------- Post added at 08:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:51 PM ----------

But, B&G will definitely have more low.
Thanks! I think they look pretty good, anything is better than stock. I was thinking going with 17" rims would that cover the wheel gap? I'll maybe consider getting B&G if I can find a lower price on ebay.

·
Registered
120 Posts
If you size up a little bit it will help, but your speedometer will be a little off. This site will help you figure out how much bigger the wheel will be if you know the size of the tires and will show how much your speedometer will be off with a bigger wheel and tire size.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've herd bad things about Megan's. I had b&g lowering springs. They will give you that low. Ride isn't bouncy either but it will ride stiff.
Thanks for your input. I will agree the ride is alittle bouncy with the megan's. I'll consider getting B&G on my next pay check. Should I get new struts while am at it? They're stock what I have decent condition too.

---------- Post added at 11:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:29 PM ----------

If you size up a little bit it will help, but your speedometer will be a little off. This site will help you figure out how much bigger the wheel will be if you know the size of the tires and will show how much your speedometer will be off with a bigger wheel and tire size.
Thank you, I'll check it out before I order the wheels I want to put on my ride.

·
Registered
120 Posts
FE1 shocks and struts definitely do not like lowering springs. They will probably last for a bit though and like PJ said i would go FE5

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes, you should buy new shocks and struts as they'll blow on lowering springs after a short time. FE5s are the most logical choice ('08-'10) and won't break the bank. An 18" wheel will fill in that gap real nicely too. Check out Discount Tire.
Thanks for the info, I'll do what I can when I can to get new struts and shocks. Only thing with an 18" rim I can't find a style in that size I like.

·
Registered
120 Posts
17" wheel with a 45 sidewall would work to fill it up too.

·
hawaii icon
3,089 Posts
If you want zero wheel gap you are gonna want to go with coilovers, as for springs those b&g springs will do you alright. yyz springs are the best performing, but provide very little drop (less than in inch I believe, correct me if I'm wrong on that tho)

Also something to think about when trying to get larger wheels to fill the gap, those wheels will be raising your car up off the ground just as much as it fills the wheel gap.

·
hawaii icon
3,089 Posts
When they first came out, the drop was the same as pedders which was like .5-1inch. I like being low so I've never looked at them after that lol

·
Registered
120 Posts
When I put my yyz on it lowered my car about 2 inches, not sure where this less than an inch thing keeps coming from haha
The less than an inch is normally from people with fe5 springs already, since they are 20mm lower than fe1 springs. For anyone with fe1 springs the drop is definitely more significant.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.