Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i decided to mesh the upper once i saw the diy for it, but the lower mesh diy was for a cobalt that had the lower middle section that was removable just like the top, unlike mine (damnit)

so with a little modification of the lower bumper (hacksaw, dremel, bondo, primer, paint, and then mesh :blink: ) my lower bumper now looks like the upper grill.

plus i blackened in my headlights as well, but cant really see em from this pic tho...

hows it look?
(yes i know the bowtie's missin lol):laugh:

·
Registered
567 Posts
Looks good, hows it look when u open the hood? is it clean? (cant see the edges of the mesh)?

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
I like it. Good work.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looks good, hows it look when u open the hood? is it clean? (cant see the edges of the mesh)?
the edges are clean, u cant see the edges of the mesh or the epoxy unless ur looking from the back.

the bottom one has a bulge because the mesh isnt finished yet, i have one more cut to make before i secure it in place. would of been done but its gettin darker earlier so maybe tomorrow ill get the bulge out. too dark now

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
How did you attach the mesh?

edit:: you answered as I was typing haha
i can read ur mind. by the way your next thought was utterly vulgar. haha

it was just fast setting epoxy, mixed in small "batches," then i kind of pushed it in between the mesh and the "grill" piece. and trust me when i say "a dab 'il do ya," a little bit every few inches is plenty, plus when i find some better mesh, or somethin different, i can take the mesh in there now out no prob.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
wow, i really like that! I was thinkin about doin something similar, but now that i see it, i think im gonna go for it, looks great!!!!

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Alright this is the "How to Mesh Lower Bumper w/out removable plastic insert" diy. lol

First you have to remove the bumper, its not as hard as some might think, look around theres probably a thread on how to do it. Once the bumper is off, you obviously need to remove the plastic slats.

The three black circles are the horizontal slats, and the black vertical line is one of the multiple vertical ones, to cut these out i used a hacksaw blade (or u could use a sawzall, or maybe a dremel with a special bit). First use tape and mark off the entire inside of the bumper area so if the saw blade "misses" or whatever, your bumper wont get a mark.

Then cut each slat about an 1/2 inch away from the bumper like so (cut at red lines)

Once the slats are cut away, u need to fill in the "gap" with bondo, or like high strength epoxy. The slats are in a U shape and aren't solid.
Ex:

The black is the horizontal slat(s), the grey is the inside edge of the bumper, use your "filler" and fill that hole (haha :laugh:). Once that is dry (make sure u cake it on there, so u have enough to sand away), use a dremel bit with sandpaper, or a file, and cut away the remaining 1/2 slats until there is like a 1/32 or 1/64 inch of em left. At this point use like 60 or 80 grit and sand away, then increase in size until its perfectly smooth.

Now comes the hard part, painting. Unless you can get actual car body paint matching ur paint codes, u can do what i did. Tape off, and TAKE UR TIME, the edge of the inside bumper, and find high quality spray paint and prime. First wetsand once more with 1500 or 2000 grit the entire inside surface, then dry with paper towel, then clean with isopropyl alcohol and let air dry. Then prime a few coats, wetsand again, then paint with your color.

Once all that is done, Get your mesh, and cut a piece to length, and then place on the back side of the bumper, and cut out a rough shape of the hole (lol), like an extra inch or so around the entire edge. Once that is done and the excess is cut off, bend over the excess over the edge of the bumper, but be careful not to curve the mesh, you want it to have a flat front. Then tape the edge (or fray) of the mesh with elec tape (what i used, any tape will do), then use epoxy or liquid nails, and glue every other inch or so around the entire edge.

Let set overnight, or for a few hours, then reinstall bumper.

Hope that will help some of u guys. 8)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.