Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, so I have perhaps a big problem/perhaps no problem at all. I have a 07 cobalt with the 2.2, non turbo of course, nothing special...with only 89k miles on it. I routinely change oil, sparkplugs, etc(preventitive maintenance) and have nothing in terms of aftermarket on it aside from a K&N CAI system. I do drive the mess out of this car, but essentialy it is well taken care of otherwise. Upon my last oil change, I decided to stick a magnetic drain plug in for the heck of it, can't hurt, right? So 3k miles down the road, today I drain the oil and do another oil change at which point I realize, hey there are metallic parts(not shavings) but parts hanging of the tip of the magnetic drain plug. Took some pics for you guys to see if you recognize the parts, if so, in your opinion, what should be done about this...I have little if any knowledge on the internals on this ecotec. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
In my non-professional opinion, they look like shims or bushings of some sort, however I've noticed no ticking, knocking, etc.
...and the pics:

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
They're bushings alright but how did they get there. Has your oil pan ever been removed? Or valve job? Those look like valve guides, two of them. How did they get down to the oil pan.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Sounds like to me GM didnt really do a good job through the production line. Any notice of problems yet?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, my concern is that if it's an upper engine part, how the heck did it get into the crank case? I'm not too familiar with any internal combustion engine, let alone the ecotec but just dont see the posibility unless it's a part from the oil pump. Of all the readouts I have on my model, I have no oil pressure sensor of course so I cant speak for that but otherwise it has ran fine since and before the oil change. I'm hoping they were simply "extras" from the production process but who knows.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Yeah, my concern is that if it's an upper engine part, how the heck did it get into the crank case? I'm not too familiar with any internal combustion engine, let alone the ecotec but just dont see the posibility unless it's a part from the oil pump. Of all the readouts I have on my model, I have no oil pressure sensor of course so I cant speak for that but otherwise it has ran fine since and before the oil change. I'm hoping they were simply "extras" from the production process but who knows.
The oil has been changed more than once since it came off the line. I dunno how plausible it is that they are "extras" how is it running now?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Could you identify the two pieces? Did you bring them to an engine mechanic to try and figure it out?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Not to bump this old thread but no, I haven't brought this to a mechanics attention...I did however change oil again a week ago and found the same thing, only a bit less of it. As usual, the car seems to still be running fine, coming up on 100k miles.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.