Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 161 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is my second retro attempt and I think I'm doing good so far.
I used FX-Rs on my first retro but one of the projectors was off rotation and I wasn't able to fix it because my car is my daily driver so I decided to build another set.

I bought everything at The Retrofit Source online: headlight upgrades for all applications

Here's what I'll be using.

Cobalt headlight taken apart.

I had to do some trimming but nothing serious, I also sanded the reflector.

Painted shroud and mounted projector.

I'm going to aim the projectors tomorrow, and I'll be updating soon.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Looks good! I have the same project I need to start soon. I think there might be something wrong with my one projector though. I need to get a picture of it and send it Matt at TRS. I got there stage III setup as well as some 6k fog setup. I want to start it, but I need to get some time to do so. Any tips or extra pics you take would benefit me tremendously! Keep up the good work. What are you using to seal stuff up and getting it to stay?

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
that looks great man! gives me a great idea about how to do mine! keep the pics coming man! and if you could give me some tips on aiming them? are you going to re-attach them temporarily to the bumper and adjust the screws accordingly?

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looks good! I have the same project I need to start soon. I think there might be something wrong with my one projector though. I need to get a picture of it and send it Matt at TRS. I got there stage III setup as well as some 6k fod setup. I want to start it, but I need to get some time to do so. Any tips or extra pics you take would benefit me tremendously! Keep up the good work. What are you using to seal stuff up and getting it to stay?
What's wrong with yours?
I have some hotspots that I'm trying to fix,I'll take some more pics eventually.
A couple of tools that you'll need is a dremel and a belt sander because you have to sand down the rear part of the reflector you know where the bulb sits at, and I'm using Clear RTV Silicone to seal it up, that's why I used on my last retro and I can't complain.

---------- Post added at 06:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:44 PM ----------

that looks great man! gives me a great idea about how to do mine! keep the pics coming man! and if you could give me some tips on aiming them? are you going to re-attach them temporarily to the bumper and adjust the screws accordingly?
I'm gonna aim them on my garage, and I'm gonna do a final test before I seal the headlights up.
This video may give you an idea of what I'm talking about.
YouTube - (2) How to build HID projector headlights

---------- Post added at 06:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:47 PM ----------

damn i can't wait to see the final project
Thanks man.
I'll be updating soon.

·
Registered
280 Posts
What's wrong with yours?
I have some hotspots that I'm trying to fix,I'll take some more pics eventually.
A couple of tools that you'll need is a dremel and a belt sander because you have to sand down the rear part of the reflector you know where the bulb sits at, and I'm using Clear RTV Silicone to seal it up, that's why I used on my last retro and I can't complain.
Around the edge of one of the projectors it looks as if the lens or the glass is cracked or broken. If I turn the projector so the lens points to the ceiling, and rotate it in my hand everything looks smooth, except this one area looks like there is an air bubble of glass. It's very weird... I wish I had them here so I could try to take a picture of it. Looking directly down on the projector you wouldn't even notice it's there. It's when you turn is to the side you see it.

I watched all those videos.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Around the edge of one of the projectors it looks as if the lens or the glass is cracked or broken. If I turn the projector so the lens points to the ceiling, and rotate it in my hand everything looks smooth, except this one area looks like there is an air bubble of glass. It's very weird... I wish I had them here so I could try to take a picture of it. Looking directly down on the projector you wouldn't even notice it's there. It's when you turn is to the side you see it.

I watched all those videos.
Take a couple of pics and send them to Matt, I'm pretty sure he would send a new projector.
What shrouds did you get?

·
Registered
280 Posts
I got the E55, the same as you! But I also got a set of CCFL's go put on them. I'm going to get my stuff in a week or so and start doing the project.

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
FFUUUUhhhhhkkkkk if only i had the money now! my system just cost me quite a bit and i'm still not done insulating and trunk layout etc...so i'll have to wait another month or so to get this project on the go. We will def. have to start a 'retrofit showoff' thread or something since a bunch of us are doing them now :D

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
looks good D.

i have a set of retros setting in my back room.. theyre my buddys tho not mine :( ive thought about test fitting them on my car tho lol

Thanks David.

Steal them lol and take some pics.

---------- Post added at 09:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:56 PM ----------

I got the E55, the same as you! But I also got a set of CCFL's go put on them. I'm going to get my stuff in a week or so and start doing the project.
I regret getting the E55s because they won't cover the whole projector and there's some light leakage, I may have to install them upside down.

Good luck on your project.

---------- Post added at 09:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:01 PM ----------

FFUUUUhhhhhkkkkk if only i had the money now! my system just cost me quite a bit and i'm still not done insulating and trunk layout etc...so i'll have to wait another month or so to get this project on the go. We will def. have to start a 'retrofit showoff' thread or something since a bunch of us are doing them now :D
Do it man.
This is the cheapest set up you can get, I only paid $230 for everything you see on the top pic.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I regret getting the E55s because they won't cover the whole projector and there's some light leakage, I may have to install them upside down.
Really? Damn, I hope I don't have a problem with them. Matt told me they were a perfect fit. I guess I'll have to wait and see. Maybe you have to pull your projector back more?

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Really? Damn, I hope I don't have a problem with them. Matt told me they were a perfect fit. I guess I'll have to wait and see. Maybe you have to pull your projector back more?
They cover the front of the projector, but they don't cover the side openings and that's where the light is leaking.
I'll try to post some pics tomorrow.

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
^neat! I really can't wait to see them done. and I really can't wait until exams are over so I can work my ass off and buy the parts for my own retrofit :p

·
Registered
280 Posts
Wow, it looks really good! I hope mine turn out this well! I think I might try to start mine this week. I'm sure I will make a thread about it too. My question is how do I get a starting cut-off line if I already took out my stocks and put in Gen3 projectors? Go by that cut-off line?

Here are some pictures of what looks to be a crack in the lens. I need to e-mail Matt yet too. I'll do that next.

Here are three zoomed in pictures, but quality sucks...

Here it is at an angle...

Normal Side of Projector showing no signs of a crack...

Turned slightly starting to see the crack...

The whole crack... (if that is what it is...)

Better picture of it...

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Wow, it looks really good! I hope mine turn out this well! I think I might try to start mine this week. I'm sure I will make a thread about it too. My question is how do I get a starting cut-off line if I already took out my stocks and put in Gen3 projectors? Go by that cut-off line?
Thanks man.
I think it would be better if you put the stockers back on.
Do you have a pic of the Gen3s cutoff?

And yea the lens seems to be damaged, send a few of those pics to Matt and he will send you a lens or another projector. For some reason I thought you were going to use Mini Morimotos too.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Yeah, I sent him a link to this posting rather than trying to send him MB's of pictures. I went with the Stage III. Any advice as far as bolt and such for mounting? I need to go the hardware store and pick up a few things. I still haven't started anything because: 1.) No time. 2.) I've been worried about this projector. I will have time this week, but I doubt I will get around to mounting anyway. What am I going to need from the store? I have the paint and silicone as well as some JB weld, Matt recommended, but no nuts/bolts/etc.

I don't have any pictures of the cut-off line for the projectors right now, but I can take some tonight.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I just used some fasteners and nuts that I got at walmart, I have an extra bag laying around, I'll get a pic later.
You are going to need a dremel, a drill, and a 2 3/4 in hole saw cutter too.

1 - 20 of 161 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.