Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am getting the P0301 I think is the code for Cylinder 1 Misfire. I have done the typical checks and decided to do a compression test. I found that cylinder 1 was about 100lbs short of the others. I've done alot of mechanic work in my years typically with V8's. I'm not afraid to dive in.

My question is how can I make sure that its nothing related to the piston and rings? Is there a compression test I could do with that as well?

Does it sound like I just need a valve job and thats it? I found a local reputable company that will clean the head/valves replace anything if it needs it for $130 + Parts if needed replaced. I just have to do the labor of taking it off of course.

I don't have as much experience with this size motor and overhead cam, but in effort to save me about $1,000 I'm going to take my shot. I'm looking at a haines manual possibly for reference. Does anyone know what gaskets/parts need replaced? I am going to do timing chain while I am at it. I'm 115k miles.

I guess my paranoia is wanting to make sure its strictly valve related. I can send this off to be machined get it back slap it back together and go down the road without worrying that I am going to drop a cylinder because it was actually rings. I hear most of the problem with this motor is carbon build up and thats why its lack of compression?

Please help ease my mind. thanks!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.