Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently on my 2.2 I've put on a K&N Short Ram intake, cruise&radio controls, aftermarket head unit, and putting in a new sound system..but as I sat here today contemplating on dynamat vs the other brands i'm wondering..

I'm probably going to be moving on to some performance and suspension mods soon, should I continue to mod my 2.2 or save for the SS?

I saw a 08 TC SS one state over for $9500 firm which isn't a horrible price.

2 things that come to mind are:
1. Insurance on SS vs 2.2?
2. estimated MPG is 30ish, I've heard some people say they've gotten better than that just based on driving habits..However I know it requires premium..

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
Depends on what your power goals are. I enjoy my 2.2, but I probably could have spent that all on an ss.

True that ss will be higher insurance, but millage isn't too far off, depending on your driving habits like you said. 2.2 you will only get around 210 max and no LSD which again depends on what you are looking for as far as its importance.

·
Registered
304 Posts
i plan to keep my ls and mod it pretty extensively. i prefer the cheaper purchase price, registration fee and insurance. if i had an ss i'd probably have payments which means i probably couldnt have bought my winter beater and took the car off the road and have all the parts i bought for it waiting to go on in the spring.

i like the built over bought mentality as well

·
Premium Member
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, in the ideal world i'd like to go to an occasional local car meet and maybe go to the track once or twice a year, and although the LS is a good performer, the SS would blow most out of the water from what I've heard and you could put quite a bit of money in the LS before it's car show quality where as the SS is almost there from the factory if you take care of it.

---------- Post added at 03:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:04 PM ----------

i plan to keep my ls and mod it pretty extensively. i prefer the cheaper purchase price, registration fee and insurance. if i had an ss i'd probably have payments which means i probably couldnt have bought my winter beater and took the car off the road and have all the parts i bought for it waiting to go on in the spring.

i like the built over bought mentality as well
That was kind of my argument to keep the LS, but on the other hand by the time I'd put what i'd like to in the LS there's a decent possibility I could've just bought the SS.

Though it's not to say I wouldn't put further work into the SS, it's just to say that with the SS it may be more cost effective, because just part wise it could be worth the SS and that's not even including my own time/labor.

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
Depends on the type of racing you do. I've dominated not only ss's, but sti's and others as well during auto x.

·
Premium Member
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Depends on the type of racing you do. I've dominated not only ss's, but sti's and others as well during auto x.
True. i'm still kind of on the fence, but depending on how much insurance is going to be and all I may end up saving up and paying cash for a SS as a kind of "Weekends" car and keep the 2.2 for a daily driver.

I had kind of toyed with the idea of a 2nd vehicle of either getting a Chevrolet Colorado(truck) or the Saturn Sky redline, however the cobalt SS seems a little more in reach than the Sky and it's hard to say when I would use the truck..

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
Agreed. Typical price I've seen is 10k min.

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
also keep in mind, yea it does need premium. but for every fill up, it only costs you at the absolute most another $2.40. so it's not that much. gas mileage will be good if you ALWAYS keep your foot out of it. if you put your foot into it, you'll probably get mid 20's, which still isn't horrible for having fun

·
Levee
3,210 Posts
It's all on what you want out of it. The ss/tc will make mire power and go faster than a 2.2 hands down everytime mod for mod. As far as the mileage, it all depends on the foot and tune (tune being the biggest). Also, what is done to the ss? What is wrong with it? Just keep in mind, yes the ss can be beaten in auto x, but look at the cost in mods it took for them to get beat, where as they were probably stock. A modified ss/tc is all around quick in turns, top speed and acceloration. The ss tc is a good starting point, and is fun with or without mods. Mods may be a little more expensive but they make a bigger difference when put on. Insurance will be a cost factor, but fuel isn't. The difference in fuel costs is less than $3 total. I'd average about 300-400 miles to a tank in my sstc.

·
Premium Member
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
sorry for being off topic but was the cruise control mod hard to do?
Not very hard, the hardest part was finding those wire connectors then a local shop that I've been recommended by a few friends happened to own a tech2 and they offered to make the change for free. My steering wheel was a bit rough to get off, but not a major pain, I was also overly cautious in unhooking the negative and letting it sit about 30 minutes before I started to work on it.

---------- Post added at 08:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:06 PM ----------

if you've got the time/money/willingness to learn, build the 2.2. but that is a HELL of a price on an ss/tc.
Agreed. Typical price I've seen is 10k min.
Very True, I wish I had the cash right now to snatch it up, but I've got to save a bit as i've been putting together an audio system on the 2.2

also keep in mind, yea it does need premium. but for every fill up, it only costs you at the absolute most another $2.40. so it's not that much. gas mileage will be good if you ALWAYS keep your foot out of it. if you put your foot into it, you'll probably get mid 20's, which still isn't horrible for having fun
Yeah, I guess on a 13 gallon tank it isn't quite as much of a difference as if it was on a truck. I think here it's a 30-50 cent/per gallon difference at the most.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
I dont own a T/C so im not beng biased, but they're better cars all around, and you'll be sinking a lot into an LS to get it to where even a stock T/C is, than all Mr. Tc has to do is put $300 into a tune and he's already bounced another 40HP. IMHO, unless you're willing to go balls out on the LS its not worth it

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.