• Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm doing a lot of work to my car lately and I was thinking of another performance mod since I am going to definately go the turbo route, what should I do?

·
Registered
192 Posts
for the 2.2? first figure out what you're gonna do for tuning. thats gonna be a big problem. no tuning suites released for the 2.2.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The AEM FIC works for the 2.2 L61 using O2 clamping.

·
Registered
230 Posts
You can't just throw parts at it, you're going to need major planning to build a reliable turbo engine. Might need another car to drive while you build that up. I was thinking of building up a high compression naturally aspirated 2.2 from a wrecked Ion or something and then just dropping it into the Cobalt and tuning with an AEM piggyback or something. That might be a good idea, there won't be downtime on the car more than a weekend or so and it will be reliable since the entire motor can be pulled apart and built up to handle boost.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah the thing is adam (NJHK) and I had a really long talk about this and he pointed me in the direction of megasquirt and AEM. They are using AEM on a lot of tuner cars including a couple drift 350Zs. It has it's own software and interface and its a piggyback but it could tune for a port and polish or cams or a turbo. I think you just need patience and no tuning is coming out for us anytime soon. Ive talked to guys from sct and hp and its the same story : in 08

·
Registered
192 Posts
they also said it would have been released back in the summer. so who really knows. just make sure you have everything planned out, and planned out well. revise your plan, and then revise it again. this is a big project to undertake.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You can't just throw parts at it, you're going to need major planning to build a reliable turbo engine. Might need another car to drive while you build that up. I was thinking of building up a high compression naturally aspirated 2.2 from a wrecked Ion or something and then just dropping it into the Cobalt and tuning with an AEM piggyback or something. That might be a good idea, there won't be downtime on the car more than a weekend or so and it will be reliable since the entire motor can be pulled apart and built up to handle boost.
I'm not trying to throw parts at it however I'm not on a huge budget and I know what my short-term goals are and what my long term are. I'm going to build my bottom end up but slowly and when money comes in such as rods, pistons, mainstuds, head studs, head gasket, and then purchase a kit. I'm gonna buy the AEM unit within the next few months anyways because I plan on doing a P&P job

·
Registered
230 Posts
You gotta pay to play, no way around it...I don't see how you're going to build the bottom end piece by piece. You have to do it together so the parts will wear in with each other and all the tolerances will be correct.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well I'm gonna buy them slowly but I'm not gonna install them as I get them yanno? theres no point in me installing forged rods then putting everything back together then install pistons 2 months later yanno?

·
Registered
230 Posts
Well I'm gonna buy them slowly but I'm not gonna install them as I get them yanno? theres no point in me installing forged rods then putting everything back together then install pistons 2 months later yanno?
Oh I misunderstood you, sorry. Yeah, getting the parts together slowly is a good idea. Watchout though, some of the internal parts shouldn't be left out in the air and moisture very long. I have read up on a few engine builds and the guys say to do the assembly as soon as possible after all the machine work has been done.

·
Registered
768 Posts
That is probably the route that I'll be going I've seen a few 2.2l on ebay lately. But I'll be going the turbo route

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah it's cool blackbalt. Thanks for the info I never knew about the moisture thing. Maybe I will save up and make one purchase for the parts I need. It might be better in the long run anyways.

·
Registered
673 Posts

You should do it. I'd love to see a high revving NA build up on the 2.2.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
yeah actually that would be sweet I just would like to take an L61 to the turbo level

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Maybe a custom job? I don't know. I'm more into FI engines mainly Turbo stuff. So I'm not one to make ay comments about that.

M

·
0 Posts
get the supporting mods out of the way and hope you can get a real tune down the road

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.