Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I only know of several mods that I can do without voiding my warranty. I have already planned to do Gmp exhuast and intake. Tint the tall lights and possibly paint the wheels. What other mods can you do and not void warranty.

·
Registered
673 Posts
none of them. If you want your warranty don't mod. It really is that simple.

*sits and waits for someone to scream Magnusson Moss Warrant Act*

and when someone does this is my response, from another thread about warranties.

LOL, you kids and your Magnusson-Moss act. That act isn't worth the paper it's printed on. If you think it's going to help you at all your kidding yourself.

Here is an example of how the act fails miserably:

You install an intake. Your clutch blows. You go to a dealer and they see your intake and say "well your clutch was designed for 205hp and since you've added an intake you aren't making stock horsepower therefore your clutch will not be covered under warranty." It is that easy to "prove" the part you installed caused the failure. Using this theory you can effectively void every part on the powertrain and chassis as well as some electrical components since you will have to take your maf off and put it on the new intake.

The fact is you have to pay to play and if you want warranty don't play. I'm not saying this to be a ****, but I'm saying it to protect the members of this site from getting slammed with pricey repair bills because they heard some guy on the internet saying it was ok to mod their car. It's ok, but don't expect GM to cover your breakdowns.

Ultimately it comes down to your dealership and the tech servicing your car. I know several techs at the local dealership and they basically have told me that if your car is modded and you bring it in they will do it under warranty as long as it's an easy fix and they can make some money. If not they will just deny the warranty claim and charge you a fortune to fix it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
ha funny comic

·
Registered
130 Posts
Well you can always modify the body (bodykits, wheels, spoiler, hood, etc.), sound system (deck, sub, amp, etc.), and interior like triming, seats and window tint, thats pretty much it. Your car will look good but will it wont drive like you want it to (unless you have the ss/sc)

·
Registered
575 Posts
Please don't paint ur wheels especially steelies

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Go GMPP Parts and have the dealer install them and approve them. Pay extra $$ but helps when you go in for warranty issues when the dealer approves the parts and dosent say " hey this could void your warranty" IMO

·
Registered
135 Posts
Its actually very simple, do not make any modifications to components that you wish to have covered under warranty. Or replace the old parts with GM parts by a GM tech at a dealer.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Save all of the stock parts that you take off your car. if it f's up with the aftermarket stuff on, you can always put stock parts back and play dumb to the "CERTIFIED PARTS PEOPLE" at GM. Stay away from parts that you cant personally put back to stock if you are worried about the warranty,. Exhaust components, internals, etc..

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

and when someone does this is my response, from another thread about warranties.
if the place you bought your car is THAT sticky, then you have some serious issues.

MOST dealers will try to get it warrentied, they make the same amount and generally get the work agreed to alot quicker if its warrentied.

stop being such a killjoying ASS

·
Registered
90 Posts
MOST dealers will try to get it warrentied, they make the same amount and generally get the work agreed to alot quicker if its warrentied.

Hey Ive got a bridge in NY I can sell you cheap.........

Dealers absolutely DON NOT make the same for warranty repairs as they do for customer pay repairs. First of all the labor times(amount of time dealer is payed for performing work) for warranty repair are generally 25-40% lower than for Customer pay. IE: Camshaft replacement on an L61, under warranty it only pays 1.7hours. As a customer pay job we wouldnt do this for less than 3.0hours(this is an industry standard time,MotorAlldata, not a money hungry dealer.) Thats almost a 45% discount. How bout another common part, the clutch. GM warranty time is 5.4hours, customer pay time is 8hrs, almost 35% less for warranty. And the labor rate that a dealer is paid by GM is also less than the "door rate" or the rate which is advertised that customers pay per hour of labor. In general this is 5-15% less. For example My dealers door rate is $97/hr. GM warranty only pays us $82/hr.

Dealers do warranty work and try to help you because they want to earn your cash business and because some money is better than no money. Trust if dealers could refuse to do warranty work and had enough customer pay work to survive, they would.

·
Registered
314 Posts
i have had no issues with dealers and warranty work on lightly modded engines in any car/truck...now if i swap gears in my truck rearend, i dont expect them to warranty the rear ever again, gotta pay to play

·
Registered
673 Posts
if the place you bought your car is THAT sticky, then you have some serious issues.

and you continue to post useless bullshit everytime you post. Congrats!

Look around ASS, more people are having problems with getting things warrantied then no with this car, the corvette, and previous generation camaro when it was still in warranty. So I'd advise you to quit giving out useless and false information so that some poor sucker on this website doesn't mod the living crap out of his car and then get his warranty denied when something screws up.

·
Registered
768 Posts

We don't need those type of comment on this forum!

If you want to prove him wrong then maybe you should just state your facts and see what he has to say. He is telling people what they should expect.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Do you mean paint your wheels like this.

This is japeaters car out of dallas. Stage 3 on that hoe.

DTC_34 added 16 Minutes and 30 Seconds later...

and you continue to post useless bullshit everytime you post. Congrats!

Look around ASS, more people are having problems with getting things warrantied then no with this car, the corvette, and previous generation camaro when it was still in warranty. So I'd advise you to quit giving out useless and false information so that some poor sucker on this website doesn't mod the living crap out of his car and then get his warranty denied when something screws up.
Other people on here dont need your smart ass remark.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMADreamer
LOL, you kids and your Magnusson-Moss act. That act isn't worth the paper it's printed on. If you think it's going to help you at all your kidding yourself.

Here is an example of how the act fails miserably:

You install an intake. Your clutch blows. You go to a dealer and they see your intake and say "well your clutch was designed for 205hp and since you've added an intake you aren't making stock horsepower therefore your clutch will not be covered under warranty." It is that easy to "prove" the part you installed caused the failure. Using this theory you can effectively void every part on the powertrain and chassis as well as some electrical components since you will have to take your maf off and put it on the new intake.

The fact is you have to pay to play and if you want warranty don't play. I'm not saying this to be a ****, but I'm saying it to protect the members of this site from getting slammed with pricey repair bills because they heard some guy on the internet saying it was ok to mod their car. It's ok, but don't expect GM to cover your breakdowns.

Ultimately it comes down to your dealership and the tech servicing your car. I know several techs at the local dealership and they basically have told me that if your car is modded and you bring it in they will do it under warranty as long as it's an easy fix and they can make some money. If not they will just deny the warranty claim and charge you a fortune to fix it.
And my response to all that garbage is to get your states Department of Consumer Protection involved to back you up. You already pay into the services by paying taxes. This would be the perfect time to get something out of those taxes. If enough violations accrue against any one business the state can pull their business license.

Now what is your argument?

·
Registered
24 Posts
There are some great arguments for both sides so far. But, to get an accurate answer, it would be wise to listen to those that ARE GM technicians. Thus read Maven's comments above. I work for a Cadillac dealership. Our through-the-door labor rate is $110.98/hour, but warranty only pays $92/hour.

If a technician has reason to believe that the aftermarket part that was installed contributed to another parts failure, then you're [email protected] right I'm gonna write up the Repair Order as a customer pay. However, if that performance part was a GMPP, then I have to warranty it.

Unfortunately, there isn't always an 'honest' technician working on every single GM vehicle. There's just no way to ensure this. The Magnusson-Moss Act was a halfass attempt to make every technician honest and held accountable.

So, IMO, if you want performance parts and don't ever want to be hassled with warranty claims, stick with the GM Performance Parts catalog. I think GM has done a great job offering a wide range of performance parts for our Cobalts. Let's see Honda with a stage 3 kit of any kind for their Civic. But, on the other hand, if you would prefer to maybe get a few extra ponies and lot more headaches when its time to service your car, go ahead and buy that aftermarket part. But don't complain that you weren't warned.

·
Registered
673 Posts
And my response to all that garbage is to get your states Department of Consumer Protection involved to back you up. You already pay into the services by paying taxes. This would be the perfect time to get something out of those taxes. If enough violations accrue against any one business the state can pull their business license.

Now what is your argument?
So if you mod your car with lets say an intake and your maf goes bad, then the dealer denies your warranty claim and you get pissy and go to the DCP do you really think you have a case? Common sense says you don't. So you may lodge a complaint against the dealership but upon investigation it turns out the dealer did nothing wrong and was completely within the bounds of the law and their rights. So then you just look like a whiney kid that was crying wolf when your car broke down and you couldn't scam the dealership into paying for your mistakes.

GM should not have to pay for your mistakes and if you are going to mod your car you should expect to pay for the problems that come up. So don't come onto this website telling people that it's ok to mod their car because if something goes wrong their dealership will warranty it because chances are they won't, unless they can make money off it.

I deal in reality, you deal in theory. Now what's you argument big boy?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.