Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's some things I could do to my cobalt that would give me the most bang for my buck as far as performance or looks go? I know I could easily do headlights but I can't find any I like (I'm not a big fan of how cheap halo's look), and I don't want to do rims because I just bought 4 new tires when I bought the car two months ago. What would you guys recommend I do to get the most out of the "cobalt experience"?

·
Registered
498 Posts
1: Stock ACDelco FE5 shocks & Struts and FE5 front swaybar with the shorter swaybar end links......
2: Stock FE5 springs front & back if you wan ~1/2" lower ride.

Replacement front & rear speakers ~$20/pair
And change your recirculating freash air filter

·
Say What again!
6,037 Posts
For headlights, you could simply paint the buckets black. That's extremely cheap, since you bake the headlight to soften the adhesive, pull the lenses off, remove the buckets, paint them, reassemble, re-bake, reinstall lenses and boom - dirt cheap, easy and a great upgrade in the looks department. If you want to go the extra mile, you can do a projector retrofit and run HIDs.

As @1966tbird mentioned, '08+ FE5 struts/shocks, swaybar and springs are an exceptional upgrade, and cost hardly anything because they're OEM parts.

Reactions: theseabass

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
1: Stock ACDelco FE5 shocks & Struts and FE5 front swaybar with the shorter swaybar end links......
2: Stock FE5 springs front & back if you wan ~1/2" lower ride.

Replacement front & rear speakers ~$20/pair
And change your recirculating freash air filter
For headlights, you could simply paint the buckets black. That's extremely cheap, since you bake the headlight to soften the adhesive, pull the lenses off, remove the buckets, paint them, reassemble, re-bake, reinstall lenses and boom - dirt cheap, easy and a great upgrade in the looks department. If you want to go the extra mile, you can do a projector retrofit and run HIDs.

As @1966tbird mentioned, '08+ FE5 struts/shocks, swaybar and springs are an exceptional upgrade, and cost hardly anything because they're OEM parts.
I've been looking into the FE5 struts and such and I'm pretty close to committing, however how much harsher is the ride with those compared to stock on an 07 LT3? I live in Arkansas and our roads are pretty terrible and I don't want to be unbearably comfortable.

As far as headlights go, what is the projector retrofit? I really want projectors, I'm just not a fan of the halos on all of the aftermarket ones.

·
Say What again!
6,037 Posts
FE5s do ride firmer than FE1, but not uncomfortably. I live in Michigan, so our roads (especially during winter, or just afterwards) are as bad or even worse, and I drove my Cobalt (I was on lowered SSC springs, but FE5 struts/shocks) through two winters without issue. You'll be good.

The improvement in handling far outweighs the extra firming up of the suspension.

Projector retrofits are ones you install yourself (hence "retrofit"), and most do not come with halos.

TRS is a good place to check them out: https://www.theretrofitsource.com/

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
FE5s do ride firmer than FE1, but not uncomfortably. I live in Michigan, so our roads (especially during winter, or just afterwards) are as bad or even worse, and I drove my Cobalt (I was on lowered SSC springs, but FE5 struts/shocks) through two winters without issue. You'll be good.

The improvement in handling far outweighs the extra firming up of the suspension.

Projector retrofits are ones you install yourself (hence "retrofit"), and most do not come with halos.

TRS is a good place to check them out: https://www.theretrofitsource.com/
I'll look into those and try to make sense out of the kits, I'm confused by them at the moment :ROFLOL:

Also, are ACDELCO 506683/506684 the right parts for the FE5 struts?

·
Registered
498 Posts
?... are ACDELCO 506683/506684 the right parts for the FE5 struts?
Yes. Dont forget the FE5 ACDelco 560582 shocks to go with the struts.....you can bet your running on the original 100,000 mile old shocks & struts.

And dont forget to change your fresh air cabin filter behind the glove box.

Armed with the part numbers, now you can shop around and get the best deal from such fine shops like, Crate engine, gmpartsxxxxxx dot com or RockAuto, Larry Curley & Moe or A$_$toZone

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
The best prices are usually either amazon or rockauto. If you go with rockauto don't forget to factor in shipping and the 5% off discount code

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.