Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got bored last night and pulled off al my plastics under the hood with the exception of the air intake and shot them all with duplicolor wheel paint. Silver. I figured it would hold up to the dirt and rocks that occasionally get under the hood. I shot it with high temp primer first to seal the plastics. I still need to take pics and I will post a DIY on it. Its pretty easy to do though. Only took me all of 45 minutes from start to finish to pull it all, prep, paint, dry and reinstall!!! Pics will be posted tomorrow.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Post pics when you get a chance. I did all mine a couple months ago with the Dupli-Color high temp paint. It came out really good and holds up well. I just have something different being worked on for them right now. SHould be done soon

·
Registered
268 Posts
i'm going to do mine sparkling glossy red so when i install the neon 3-light beam lights
on the bottom of the hood it will sparkle at night. not sure when i'm going to stop being lazy and do it though

·
Registered
37 Posts
does anyone know if those plastic parts are really neccessary to keep on your engine? I feel like they are so "tacky" but if they will cause problems I will just leave them where they are.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I honestly find the engine cleaner with the plastic covers

M

·
0 Posts
i like having the covers on, that way i dont feel so bad when i pop the hood at the car wash and spray it out

·
Registered
485 Posts
I honestly find the engine cleaner with the plastic covers
I completely agree. Mine are out by choice, but for a good reason. Should be going back in soon tho

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
They make it look a lot better and iit also keeps the sh!t off of the insulation o nthe underside of the hood. Much easier to clean the plastics for a car show than it is to scrub the little parts on the engine too!!! I was lazy last night and didnt do any work on the pieces. I did yank out the cup holders and paitn them though. The came out very sexy!! I cant figure out any other pieces that pop out on the dash... Anyone know of any that come off easy so I can continue painting....

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Remove the oil cap... Pull gently but firm on the top letf, topr right and bottom right corners of the main cover. If you dont remove the oil cap, it wont come off.

To remove the platic fuse box/ battery post cover... Remove the red batery post cover.
on both the left and right side of the box there is a clip. Pull out slightly and wiggle the top off.

There is another piece directly in front of the battery post box that is curved downward. Pull up from the back side of this peice to remove.

·
Registered
485 Posts
They make it look a lot better and iit also keeps the sh!t off of the insulation o nthe underside of the hood. Much easier to clean the plastics for a car show than it is to scrub the little parts on the engine too!!! I was lazy last night and didnt do any work on the pieces. I did yank out the cup holders and paitn them though. The came out very sexy!! I cant figure out any other pieces that pop out on the dash... Anyone know of any that come off easy so I can continue painting....
The three plastic sections on top of the center console just come off with clips. Same with all the trim around the radio. Not sure what all you have painted in your car already. Check out mine on my cardomain in my sig for ideas of easy things to paint

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Heres some pics of what I have been doing the past couple of days...

Heres the engine bay!!!

Heres the interior rear cupholders.

Center console...

The color is a little off from the stock silver trim so I have to pull off the stock and paint to match the new stuff. Let me know what yall think.... Thanks for the info Plur. Worked great!!!

cobaltinator added 5 Minutes and 8 Seconds later...

P.S. Please excuse the mess. Didnt clean it before the pics were taken obviously :)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.