Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, Im' sure this aggravates a lot of people. on snow, ice or water when the tires spin , even just the smallest amount, it cuts the motor out!! When I pull out to turn and my tire spins just barley!! and the motor seems to like shut down for like 5 seconds and I notice in my mirror that a car is almost locking the breaks behind me because I'm sitting in the road like a dumb shit. Is there anyway to disable this ???

·
Registered
69 Posts
I know this is a way old thread but I have the same problem-I think its a cheap retarded traction control that you cant turn on or off-you have an auto-I start off on snow or ice and it kills the engine when over a certain rpm or so much wheel spin-Its lame-Its so you dont dig your self a hole in the snow-I guess its also suppose to be for safety-There is so much stuff I didnt know about this car and I find out everyday- lame-o. The thing about it is that its a base model also-

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
yep its traction control. you can very easily shut off your traction control by making your on switch.

What you want to do is wire a switch to the Ebrake wire. Because when the ebrake is on your traction control shuts off. So you wire a switch to that wire, nad leave it on, the car then thinks the ebrake is on and will take traction control off.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I tried that, it has to be in 1st, traction control is still on in 2nd gear and 1st is too slow for anything.

·
Banned
1,559 Posts
huh? 1st gear is too fast what are u talking about? I had no traction in the snow in 1st... :laugh: and also some times I accidentally spin the tires and it's only in first. Second wouldn't do that unless u prob rev real high and dump the clutch... But my traction control doesn't turn the engine off? It just reduces power to the wheels.

·
Registered
98 Posts
its something all auto cobalts do. I had to go rent one to see if mine was just doing it or iff all of them do it. With an auto cobalt if your wheels spin and you are in any gear and it jumps to 6000 rpm engine power is reduced rather than the transmission upshifting to prevent damage. this happens in l or i or d and in any gear and even on modles with no trac control or with trac control off.

·
Registered
114 Posts
my auto just says low traction and dosent cutoff the motor but does reduce power and thtas in I or D. L you can spin em as much as u want to no prob.

·
Registered
37 Posts
im sorry.. but.. before you disable the traction control you need to learn how to drive in snow or rain.. you shouldnt be spining ur tires if ur driving safe.. im from pittsburgh and never have i ever spun tires in my cobalt in the snow.. refer to ur owners manual for safe driving tips or go to ur local library and find drivin 101 lol

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.