Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I drove my car in the snow winter 2011, I made it up and down a steep hill perfectly fine, but then T-boned a van who was at a stop sign when I tried to go make it around a corner (at about 15mph) I had all seasons kinda worn, no chains cause snow wasn't that deep.

So, now I want to try and drive up to the Snoqualmie ski pass... lol.

Is this a bad idea, or should I be ok if I buy chains? Do chains give you a major advantage in snow? I have all season tires (new) No experience driving in snow in my car except the experience last year, but am a way better driver in general now, better accident prediction, quick reaction, etc.

I'm a little nervous to try, but won't be driving aggressively like normal.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mhm it's a stick. When I was going down the hill I put it into 2nd gear and did not touch anything besides having to steer a little, was that the best method to handle it?

Going up I remember some trouble because in that old neighborhood the light was at the middle of the steep hill. Freaked me out in case I had to stop, idk what I did, but probably sped up and caused sliding

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
Driving in the snow is super unpredictable. Imo, downshifting is the best way to stop regardless of weather circumstances. Pulsing the brakes helps too. If you have anti lock, it can only do so much. Whenever I went down hills in the snow with my car, I always rev matched and let my engine slow me down because you can't always rely on the brakes in a situation like that

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Me too, was told to get into the habit of using the engine to slow down from the beginning and still do it. Unless my foot is too tired in traffic :p

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
Lol yea traffic is a different story. the nice thing also about letting the engine brake you is that it cuts ignition and fuel in our engines, so you technically save on gas too. and if you have big injectors and no cat, you'll pop flames when it cuts lol

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not friends with him anymore. I learned to drive in that sexy beast. And hell yes it was fun doing donuts in snow :D I go to the local Subaru meets, and planned to go with a friend in his Subi except plans fell through

My boyfriend bought a 2013 Jeep end of Nov, but he has been really busy with work, and I only have until the 31st to snowboard before a big vacation :( only reason I am considering driving myself since am getting anxious to try out snowboarding! Nobody can take me, there is a bus but of course it's extra money, and idk if I want to be stuck there all day in case I want to leave ya know

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
If you don't have snow tires take your boyfriend's Jeep. Tell him to share. I can't believe he didn't offer you his wheels. Seems selfish to me.

·
Levee
3,210 Posts
Just go a little slower in the snow, nothing wrong with being safe. Good suggestions so far, and yes, cobalts can be a pain to drive in the snow.

and:notrust::sick::sick: STI!!!

:love::love::love: Evo!!

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Rip the TC fuse out, and learn how to stop without ABS. It sucks in the snow anyways, that way you can spin the tires when need be.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
He can't drive a stick, and yes I make fun of him for it LOL. Only other vehicle he has is a GSXR which he can't take to work since it's not professional. Other managers and boss are in this week at his location.

He loves snowboarding too, we're going next week, I just want to go ASAP and much as possible before my trip :D

@Leveecius hey now, Evo's are badass too! I just fell in love with the rally blue STI's first ;)

---------- Post added at 09:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:18 AM ----------

Rip the TC fuse out, and learn how to stop without ABS. It sucks in the snow anyways, that way you can spin the tires when need be.
Which fuse?

·
Premium Member
2,635 Posts
traction control im sure he meant, that ought to be fun

·
Levee
3,210 Posts
He can't drive a stick, and yes I make fun of him for it LOL. Only other vehicle he has is a GSXR which he can't take to work since it's not professional. Other managers and boss are in this week at his location.

He loves snowboarding too, we're going next week, I just want to go ASAP and much as possible before my trip :D

@Leveecius hey now, Evo's are badass too! I just fell in love with the rally blue STI's first ;)

---------- Post added at 09:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:18 AM ----------

Which fuse?

I only say that because I have an EVO, and STI's are not worth the money in my opinion. They could be a lot faster, their only upside is that they are WAY better off road than evos.

And he is saying for you to pull your traction control fuse.

·
Premium Member
2,635 Posts
supposedly its tied to your ABS fuse, so i guess pulling that....

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ok I will look for it today and disconnect TC.

Think have heard yours are faster, just think Subaru is better quality. I really can't say what's better overall though because I have never driven or worked on an Evo. Def hope to drive one some day to check em out!

·
Levee
3,210 Posts
Ok I will look for it today and disconnect TC.

Think have heard yours are faster, just think Subaru is better quality. I really can't say what's better overall though because I have never driven or worked on an Evo. Def hope to drive one some day to check em out!
That's a big if on my side of quality, but again, it's to each their own. I've worked on and driven both (that's why I now have the evo lol). Evos are WAY easier to work on. But any who, if there is ever a cobalt meet that goes down that the both of us make it to, I wouldn't mind letting you drive mine, if you think you'd be able to handle an 800awhp is evo lol)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.