Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
so i decided to get a custom fuel cell insted of crappy fuel tank thats always on the way when i am messing with exhaust crap also i am trying to get a 50/50 weight distribution (dont laught haha) anyways i want to use that big ass spare tire space to put a fuel cell but battery was on the way so i move it
#1 take the battery out (of course)
#2 use step drill to drill out spot welds
#3 use grinder to cut out parts of the battery box that you wont need
#4 pick a place and weld it in (or bolted in)
#5 put the battery back.......
#6 weld the holes up you made with step drill (thats if you want i will just leave em because i will use construction foam under the fuel cell)

hhhmm it dont look straight and i took a second look in the trunk but its just a picture

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
How does a fuel cell work
what do you mean how it works...
its a container just like your gas tank just bigger and its in the trunk not next to exhaust and uses the same pump or you can put a different pump like 250 pph or and exturnal pump and u can ether buy a foam to put in the tank that prents fuel from sloshing or get a fuel tank/cell that has buffles to keep fuel from sloshing

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i wanna do this and just add an aux fuel tank to the cobalt
lol if its gonna be little aux fuel tank then i dont think you need to move the battery, but if you want to take that whole space up where the spare supposed to be then go ahead lol
also everyone says that theres no point for doing this... well theres no point of doing this if you aren't racing in your cobalt haha

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
see i like this attitude, who the hell cares if there is a point or not. just do it
well not really lol there is a point to do this if you street race, drag race at the track or cannon balling from one side of the country to another its like geeting a spring less clutch its good on the track but bad and unreliable on the street or like welding up you differential to have both wheels spinning at the same time its good for drag strip but bad and unreliable on every day driving what i am trying to do is to combine a good race car and an everyday car so that i can get from point a to point b at 180 mph and then go on the track or street races race and win :p its all about winning

·
Registered
441 Posts
that will teach people to assume/ question sometimes its not clear but their is always a method to the madness unless u drive a honda lol j/k

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
What does this do for emmisions? Do u need a whole different CPU? Can u still pass inspections? I mean is this regular gas or different.

I probably sound like a goddamn newb. Lol

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
What does this do for emmisions? Do u need a whole different CPU? Can u still pass inspections? I mean is this regular gas or different.

I probably sound like a goddamn newb. Lol
u can use same gas haha or a 110 octane race fuel it dont matter same CPU same emissions lol

---------- Post added at 07:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:28 AM ----------

Do you use the same filler door for the cell? Or do you pop the trunk and fill it that way?
which ever u prefer for a stock fuel door you will need to move the fill hose in the trunk that involves making a hole for it or weld the stock fuel door up and put the one of different shape or style on the other side of the car, lower or higher then stock whatever you want use your imagination LOL

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
so what exactly does a fuel cell do? does it increase gas mileage?
fuel cell redistributes cars weight, like rally cars have a 50/50 weight ratio and gives 'em better cornering also the way cobalt gas tank is that it gets on the way of the exhaust making it hard to service it also if you want a good cat back exhaust then you want the pipe to have as less bends as possible and thats impossible to do because stock tank is on the way and another thing gas tank next to hot exhaust pipe not good haha and lastly it might get you better mileage since the fuel will stay cooler and wont evaporate as much as it was next to hot exhaust pipe but you probably wont notice it because the change will be very small

o yea and fuel cell on the way i am still welding it give me few more days then i will weld the dual cat back exhaust system (with 2 fart cans at the end lol)

·
Registered
674 Posts
These are Fuel Cells, just a fancy term for a relocated Gas Tank! If Any of you watch racing you should know that.... Anyways, I don't think it is a good Idea to put the battery in the same location as the fuel cell, I don't care how well it is sealed, you will always have a vapor present. You might wanna try to relocate it to the engine bay, and then to completely seal off your trunk from the rest of the car (get rid of the pass thru seat, and seal the rear deck lid)

Other than that GOOD Idea... and I might just add this for Extended Fuel Range... It wouldn't be too hard to weld in a piece of sheet metal and cut out the spare tire well and add it under the car either.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
These are Fuel Cells, just a fancy term for a relocated Gas Tank! If Any of you watch racing you should know that.... Anyways, I don't think it is a good Idea to put the battery in the same location as the fuel cell, I don't care how well it is sealed, you will always have a vapor present. You might wanna try to relocate it to the engine bay, and then to completely seal off your trunk from the rest of the car (get rid of the pass thru seat, and seal the rear deck lid)

Other than that GOOD Idea... and I might just add this for Extended Fuel Range... It wouldn't be too hard to weld in a piece of sheet metal and cut out the spare tire well and add it under the car either.

good point on sealing everything off but unfortunately i already have nitrous tank sitting intead of back seats this is how the rea of my car is lol i got to clean it up and vacuum it hah but here:

lol so basically it don't matter fuel vapors or not if it blows up it blows up completely.. haha but i will add another vent even know the cobalt already has two vents in the trunk on the sides under the rear bumper

·
Get Out The Sawzall
1,856 Posts
God!!!
the Cobalt has a 40/60 weight distribution from the factory, moving the cell 3 feet back and to the center is going to make it realistically 41-59, plus I do not see you fitting a standard 12 gal cell in the spare tire area, so if you go with a 10 you are loosing 12 pds. of weight in a full tank, plus the factory tank weighs probably 15 pounds more so you gain nothing. Plus you can not race on a track legally with a cell in your trunk without your trunk being a fully in-closed area which means welding a sheet between the trunk and back seat area, because the NHRA and IHRA realize that this is a horrible idea and you even want to take it a step further and put a damn battery in the same compartment, vented or not this is dumb. Plus even on a FI balt up to even 350 hp the most you will need in a single exhaust is 3 inch max even with the factory bends and with the factory tank 3 inch is no problem and realistically a 2.5 is sufficient.
I've seen your car and I know you like to be different and doing custom work is cool and it is what I am all about but this is a total waste of time and I hope that some noob here does not take this seriously and decide to try this.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.